Wooden box (220 x 157 x 58 mm) with small brass plaque on lid with `A M 1939` containing a set of draughtsman`s compasses, made by Aston & Mander of London. Thought to be an instrument set used by the Met Office during WWII.
Collection of papers regarding the closure of Tiree Met Office: extracts from Hansard, e-mails, letters, Met Office news releases, newpaper cuttings. Charts for 1961-1990 showing average monthly wind speed, temperature, sunshine and highest recorded gusts. Warnings book, Register of Correspondence , 2001 year planner.
The Campbell-Stokes Heliograph sunshine recorder from Tiree Met Station.
Courtesy of Mr Ray Sharp
The Campbell-Stokes sunshine recorder was invented in 1853 by John Francis Campbell, the editor of ‘Popular Tales of the West Highlands’, and modified by Sir George Gabriel Stokes in 1879. It consists of a glass sphere, about ten centimetres in diameter, mounted on a metal stand.
Manufactured to Met Office specification, the glass sphere focuses the rays of the sun to an intense spot which chars a mark on a curved graduated card mounted concentrically with the sphere. As the earth rotates, the position of the spot moves across the card. The card is held in place by grooves, of which there are three overlapping sets, to allow for the height of the sun during different seasons of the year.
Its main advantage is its simplicity and ease of use. However, the results require interpretation by an observer and may differ from one person to another.
In 1924 the Meteorological Office proposed to establish an official telegraphic weather reporting station on Tiree at Cornaig School.
However, they first needed to bring a telegraph line to the post office at Cornaig which the GPO would only do if it was guaranteed an income of £60 per year. The Treasury offered to pay more than half of this and the line was installed in 1926 when five local people put up a guarantee of £5 a year each.
The headmaster Donald O. MacLean agreed to become the Met. Office Observer on Tiree for the sum of £52 a year and John MacPhail of Cornaigmore, was appointed Deputy Observer. The first report was filed in September 1926.
Black and white postcard of the Met Station at Cornaig School.
Postcard showing the Meteorological Station at Cornaigmore. Built by Hugh MacKinnon, Crossapol in 1926. The Headmaster of Cornaig School, D. O. MacLean first took charge of it, followed by Headmaster Mr. Morrison until he left in 1938. John MacPhail, crofter at Cornaigmore, took charge of the Met Station during the war years and, after his death, his wife Marion MacPhail took over responsibility. In around 1945 the Meteorological Office opened at the Reef, Crossapol, and the Cornaigmore station was closed.