Tiree Memories calendar 2018, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include the ‘Mary Stewart’ in Scarinish Harbour ca 1940, Cornaig Mill ca 1935, sheep shearing in Scarinish ca 1935, Balemartine from Cnoc Mor, Christina MacDonald (Curstaidh) at her spinning wheel, the Fever Hospital at Heanish ca 1945, MacDonald’s Store in Scarinish ca 1945, Scarinish from the air ca 1955, Ruaig hay stooks ca 1955, Mona MacDonald outside her shop in Scarinish, the Lodge Hotel ca 1955, Gott pier and ferry ca 1935, Duncan MacLean and his sisters outside The Shepherd’s Cottage in West Hynish ca 1900.
Tiree Memories calendar 2016, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include Hughina MacKinnon (nee MacFadyen; Hughina Eachainn Bhuidhe), 1981; Willie MacPhee and Mary T MacPhee on a motorbike in Scarinish the 1960s; MacArthur’s Store in Scarinish, 1937; a calf being led off the ferry in 1981; Am Baile Ur, Balephuil, 1955; Brown’s Store in Balemartine, 1980; Tiree Aerodrome from the air 1942; groups of crofters at the Agricultural Show at Whitehouse, 2002; Lord of the Isles ferry at the linkspan pier in 1991; sheep shearing at Parkhouse in 1980; Balemartine School children 1947; puffer ‘Anzac’ at Caoles, 1950s; Mary Stewart sailing past Coll in 1930s.
Black & white photograph of Scarinish Harbour in the 1920s, with the Mary Stewart anchored in the bay and the store in the background. From a large photo album embossed with G.I.B. and belonging to Georgie Ian MacLean Brodie, grand-daughter of Lachlan MacLean (b. 1804), Kilmoluaig, and Catherine MacLean (b. 1814), Grianal (Greenhill).
DVD compilation of sections of old films about Tiree, made in 2016 from videos held in An Iodhlann amongst others. Includes footage of: ferries, the Mary Stewart, Scarinish harbour, Scarinish Hotel, the ringing stone, Nester and Gavin Carter’s bakery and bread making, school bus driven by butcher Donald MacLean, The Reef, livestock health, Balephetrish, Mannal, Balemartine, Baugh, Tiree High School, children singing a traditional Gaelic hunting song, accordion music and several accordionists, Gaelic songs sung by locals at a ceilidh, thatched houses and thatching with Hector Brown, Alexander MacNeill’s opinions on thatched houses (1985), Am Bail Ur in Balephuil, Iain MacKinnon talking in Gaelic and English in his house at Kilmoluaig, Hynish harbour and buildings, harvesting and stooks, Cornaig mill, livestock sales, airport, bands, Balevullin, An Iodhlann, Tiree Music Festival, Travee, aerial view of a seal swimming, bicycles, schoolyard games, sheep shearing, Gott Bay pier, cattle, pipe music, shops, ships, Vaul, timelapse film of the sky as the sun sets and rises, young Eilidh Campbell and her brother talk in Gaelic about life on Tiree. Other people include: Ann Carter, Douglas Carter, Sinclair Carter, Olwen Carter, Monica Smith (nee Davis), Neil MacPhail, Angus MacPhail, Mairi Campbell, Bernard Smith, Iain MacDonald, Iain Brown, Iain MacLean, Myra Brown, Hector Campbell, Alex MacArthur, Gordon Connell.
Photocopy of a typed transcript of an interview with Hector MacPhail, Cornaigbeg, on 19 May 1992, about himself, boats, sea transport and sailors, with particular reference to Allan MacFadyen, Scarinish, and ships the Mary Stewart and the Mary & Effie. Topics also include alchohol taxation, violence, Clearances, landowners, hotels, Crofters’ War, coal puffers. The interviewer is given only as ‘Smith’.
Page from the Official Log Book and Account of Voyages and Crew of the Mary Stewart, 1916, giving the owner and master as Donald MacLean, Scarinish (b.1860). Ports visited during the half-year 22 July 1915 to 27th November 1915 are Ayr, Tiree, Ardrossan and Colonsay. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.4
Page from the official log book of the Mary Stewart, 1915, listing the crew as Master Donald MacLean (b.1860) and crew John MacLean (b.1885), Hugh MacLean (b.1891) and Neil MacLean (b.1898), all of Tiree. They joined the ship in 1914 and were discharged at Ayr in 1915. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.3
Sepia photograph of David Roberts (1849-1897), a native of Moelfre, Anglesey, who was the master on the Mary Stewart, and possibly part owner, from about 1886 to 1897. He died when on board the ship at Bowling, West Dunbartonshire. In 1891, two boys from his village were crew members, one of which was his 15 year-old son, John. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Colour photograph of a painting of the ‘Mary Stewart’ in full sail. The original painting is in the family of David Roberts (1849-1897), a native of Anglesey, who was the master on the Mary Stewart, and possibly part owner, from about 1886 to 1897. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.