Set of 13 brass numbers with sharp steel teeth used for tattooing identification marks on the ears of livestock during the 1950s and 60s. Kept in a ‘Four Square’ metal cigarette tin bearing a crown. From the house of John Brown, Sliabh, Balephuil.
Colour-printed scans of documents from the Argyll Papers, Inveraray Castle, displayed in An Iodhlann during the ‘Written in the Landscape’ exhibtion, 2019:
1. Sketch of the set of Tiree attempting to show where tenancies of 4 Mail Lands are practicable, 22 March 1803. (Ref: Argyll Papers PFV 65/75)
2. Statement showing the number of tenants and cottars and the livestock held by them on the Island of Tiree in 1848. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/3035)
3. Plan of the farm of Kenavay in the island of Tirii now divided into thirteen farms nearly to four male lands each, surveyed and divided by George Langlands, 1802. (Ref: Argyll Papers PV19/04)
4. List of men levied in the Island of Tiree for the Regiment of Fencibles of Argyllshire, 1759. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/324)
5. Plan of encroachments made upon the Reef by the taxman of the farm of Balephetrish… [by George Langlands, ca 1802]. (Ref: Argyll Papers PV 19/08)
6. Roll of arrears for tenants in Tiree in 1764. (Ref: Argyll Papers PFV 65/32)
7. Account of cash expended by the Bailie of Tiree on recruiting for the West Fencibles, summer and harvest 1778. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/324)
8. Sales brochure for Tiree, 1904. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/2766)
9. Letter from MacDiarmid to the Duke dated 1884 regarding shebeening women. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/906/10)
10. Letter from MacQuarrie to Wylie dated 1876 regarding Flora Lamont of Balephuil selling whisky. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/907)
11. Letter dated 1847 from Lord Lorne to Lord Grey about those Tiree inhabitants who can and cannot afford to emigrate. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/1531)
12. Postcard showing Kenavara Point from Dun Hiader, undated. (Ref: Argyll Papers Acc 2016/01)
13. Letter dated 1806 from Malcolm McLaurine, Tiree, describing the progress of Langland’s survey of the island. (Ref: Argyll Papers NRAS 1209/401)
DVD compilation of sections of old films about Tiree, made in 2016 from videos held in An Iodhlann amongst others. Includes footage of: ferries, the Mary Stewart, Scarinish harbour, Scarinish Hotel, the ringing stone, Nester and Gavin Carter’s bakery and bread making, school bus driven by butcher Donald MacLean, The Reef, livestock health, Balephetrish, Mannal, Balemartine, Baugh, Tiree High School, children singing a traditional Gaelic hunting song, accordion music and several accordionists, Gaelic songs sung by locals at a ceilidh, thatched houses and thatching with Hector Brown, Alexander MacNeill’s opinions on thatched houses (1985), Am Bail Ur in Balephuil, Iain MacKinnon talking in Gaelic and English in his house at Kilmoluaig, Hynish harbour and buildings, harvesting and stooks, Cornaig mill, livestock sales, airport, bands, Balevullin, An Iodhlann, Tiree Music Festival, Travee, aerial view of a seal swimming, bicycles, schoolyard games, sheep shearing, Gott Bay pier, cattle, pipe music, shops, ships, Vaul, timelapse film of the sky as the sun sets and rises, young Eilidh Campbell and her brother talk in Gaelic about life on Tiree. Other people include: Ann Carter, Douglas Carter, Sinclair Carter, Olwen Carter, Monica Smith (nee Davis), Neil MacPhail, Angus MacPhail, Mairi Campbell, Bernard Smith, Iain MacDonald, Iain Brown, Iain MacLean, Myra Brown, Hector Campbell, Alex MacArthur, Gordon Connell.
Innes’s Farmers’ Movement of Stock Register belonging to Alex Kennedy, Moss, covering the period 1943-1960. The Movement of Animals Order of 1925, required that all movements of livestock to and from the farm/croft had to be recorded.
Click here to view 2016.4.1
Information about the Tiree Cattle Health Group and Bovine Viral Diarrhoea (BVD)
Guide to the Tiree Cattle Health Group and leaflet about protecting Tiree cattle from Bovine Viral Diarrhoea (BVD).
Catalogues for livestock sales at Tiree Rural Centre in 2007 and 2008
Three catalogues produced by United Auctions listing the sellers` names and stock for sale of cattle and sheep at the Tiree Rural Centre on 27th October 2007, 9th February 2008 and 1st May 2008.