Large, carved, wooden lamp-shade made in the 1960s by Hugh MacDonald, Kenovay, for the Church of Scotland at Kirkapol. It was installed above the pulpit when electricity first became available on the island.
Metal and cotton candle extinguisher from Ruaig, ca 1930-1950
Squat, round, brass, paraffin lamp from Ruaig, 1925-1950
Brass spare parts, spare wicks and mantles, a spare vapouriser and a brass filling funnel for a Tilley lamp from Ruaig, 1925-1950.
Brass Tilley lamp from Ruaig, used in around 1925-1950. Similar to 2002.73.1 but complete with wick, mantle and glass globe. Tilley lamps were named after John Tilley, inventor of the hydro-pneumatic blowpipe in the early 1800s. Domestic Tilley lamps were fuelled with paraffin, which was pressurised by use of a pump on the base.
Tall, floor-standing gas lamp belonging to Calum MacLean, Salum. It stood in his shop at Salum in the 1950s, and was the first gas light on the island.
Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 456, 11/12/2009
Local news: report on boat-building and restoration course; report on Christmas craft fayre; Tiree Community Business chairman’s report; S5 pupils say thank you for support of mountain climb; TRD’s cinema wins funding award; hoax telephone calls; managment of campervans; in influx of house mice; letter to the editor from Derrick Wolstencroft in Spain; New York marathon update by Matt Boyd; announcing Tiree Association scholarship awards; announcing Christmas lights competition; report on the Think Pink fundraising event at the Lodge Hotel.