Black & white photo postcard of the lighthouse keepers’ cottages and signalling tower at Hynish in around the early 1900s.
Magazine article about the construction of Skerryvore Lighthouse, 1838-1844, by James Petre. Published in ‘Scottish Islands’, Mar/Apr 2019, pages 28-31.
Photocopy of an article published in the Annals of Scottish Natural History, January 1907, giving an account of birds recorded at Skerryvore during migration: ‘Bird-life as observed at Skerryvore Lighthouse’ by James Tomison.
Softback book ‘Scottish and Manx Lighthouses: A Photographic Journey in the Footsteps of the Stevensons’ by Ian Cowe, 2015. See pages 125-9 for information about Skerryvore Lighthouse.
Book ‘The Lighthouse on Skerryvore’ by Paul A Lynn, 2015. A comprehensive account of the engineering of the lighthouse, plus the personal background and complex personality of Alan Stevenson, its designer and builder.
Hardback book ‘Scottish Lighthouses’ by R W Munro, 1979. History of Scottish lighthouses from 1636 to the 1970s, including Skerryvore Lighthouse.
Photograph of the old lighthouse at Scarinish, 1962
Black & white photograph of L-R: unknown, unknown and Neil MacNeill, Scarinish (Niall an Tailleir), standing by the old lighthouse at Scarinish in 1962. It was removed when the new building was built (see V114). (accession includes a digitally restored copy: `V113 restored`)
Photograph of the building of the new Scarinish Light in 1962
Black & white photograph of L-R: unknown, Neil MacNeill, Scarinish (Niall an Tailleir), his son Neil MacNeill, and unknown, during building works of the new Scarinish Light (the square building) in 1962. The old lighthouse, which was removed, is in the background. (accession includes a digitally restored copy: `V114 restored`)