Tag Archives: lewis

2018.94.1

Wedding cake postal box and compliments slip found inside a tin box in the wall of Taigh a’ Chontractor, Crossapol, in 2016.

The wedding, held in London on 4 June 1917, was of Kate Matheson Maclennan, mantle saleswoman from Partick, to John Maclean (42), Corporation Clerk and Private in the Royal Highlanders of Canada. The cake box is addressed to Mrs Ann MacDonald, Farmer, Balemartine, Tiree, and stamped 2d. Ann was 66 in the 1911 census (72 at the time of the wedding). Both of Kate’s parents were from Stornoway.

2018.43.3

Softback booklet ‘Camhanaich – Sgeulachdan Goirid’ by Dòmhnall Iain MacIomhair, 1982. Thirty short stories in Gaelic by Donald Iain MacIver, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis.

1999.217.16

Softback book ‘Sgeulachdan a Seisiadar / Tales from Sheshader’ by Chris and Bill Lawson, 1990. Stories from the village of Seisiadar in east side of the Isle of Lewis. Also on audio cassette (AC9 – not digitised).

2017.24.3

Softback book ‘Les Ecossais – The Pioneer Scots of Lower Canada, 1763-1855’, by LH Campey, 2006. Account of the migration of Highland and westcoast Scots to Lower Canada in the 18th century. Although Mull, Arran and Lewis are mentioned, Tiree is not. Includes details of ships transporting people from Scotland to Quebec and passenger lists for ships sailing from Fort William and Saltcoats.

2014.58.2

Booklet `Rathad an Isein / The Bird`s Road`

Small booklet by Anne Campbell, Lewis, listing the Gaelic names and terms for features of Lewis moorlands and for working there (mostly peat-cutting).

2010.53.17

Extracts from `Our Former Ministers` (Stornoway) about Rev. Hector MacKinnon (1866-1913) and Rev. Archibald MacDonald

Re-printed extracts from unkown source regarding Stornoway`s former ministers. Includes information about Rev. Archibald MacDonald of Heylipol Parish (1878), and Rev. Hector MacKinnon of Kirkapol Parish (1893).

2010.16.6

Archive film from 1944 about `The Isles of Youth`

DVD film from the Scottish Screen Archive about `The Isles of Youth`. Filmed in 1944, colour, silent. David MacBrayne`s silent film of various island scenery in the western isles, interspersed with poetic texts. Subjects include ferries, buses, Oban, Stornoway, Harris and Harris tweed, Rodeland & St.Clements Church, Uist, Barra, Tiree including the ship “Mary Stewart” abandoned in Scarinish Harbour but still intact, Lunga, Iona, Staffa, Mull, Highland Games.