Tag Archives: land tenure

1 2 3 15

2017.7.1

Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Alexander Cameron, Miodar, Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Isabella MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacLean (Snr); Hugh MacLean; John MacFadyen; Hector MacDonald; Lachlan MacLean; Alexander MacLean (Jnr); Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).

 

 

2017.6.4

Hardback book ‘Gaelic Scotland: The Transformation of a Culture Region’ by W. J. Withers, 1988. Covers the process of cultural change in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, particularly during the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. (Including policies of successive governments, the decline of the Gaelic language, and the Clearances.) Tiree mentioned pages 8, 181, 209, 214, 219, 225, 241, 285, 357, 359, 373-5 & 380.

2017.6.2

Hardback book ‘The Transformation of Rural Scotland: Social Change and the Agrarian Economy 1660-1815’ by T.M. Devine, 1994. Original archive material is used in this book to explore the social revolution when, in the 18th-century, the old peasant society of lowland Scotland was replaced by a new order of capitalist farmers and landless labourers. Covers a range of issues, including the seventeenth-century rural social structure, the eighteenth-century agrarian economy, landlordism and improvement, the evolution of the tenant farming class, and the dispossession of the cottar class. (Tiree mentioned on page 134.)

2011.106.2

Photograph of James Galbraith (1821-1903), Balevullin, his wife and two grandchildren, ca 1890.

Black & white photograph of (probably) James Galbraith, Balevullin, Head of the Parochial School at Balevullin from 1874, his wife Janet (Wotherspoon) Galbraith and two of their Donald grandchildren, at the croft house at Balevullin around 1890. James Galbraith (1821-1903) was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.

p158.jpg

2011.106.3

Photograph of the Galbraith croft house at Balevullin ca. 1890

Black & white photograph of (probably) the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin in around 1890. James Galbraith (1821-1903) was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.

p159.jpg

2011.106.4

Photograph of members of James Galbraith`s family at Balevullin ca. 1905

Black & white photograph of L-R: Sarah Galbraith (m.Donald), her mother Janet Wotherspoon (m.Galbraith), and her son Charles Donald with a spinning wheel outside the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin, in around 1905. Janet was the wife of James Galbraith (1821-1903), the Head Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. After his death, Sarah continued to pay the rent on the croft so that her two sisters, then one sister and her husband, John MacDonald (1869-) of Cornaigmore, could live there, but ended up in dispute with the Duke of Argyll over the title. As a result, the croft was given up in 1913.

p160.jpg

2011.106.5

Photograph of members of the Galbriath family, Balevullin, ca. 1890

Black & white photograph of (probably) L-R: Janet Galbraith, Balevullin, her husband Donald MacDonald, Kilmoluaig, and her sister Mary Galbraith in around 1890. Janet and Mary were daughters of James Galbraith (1821-1903) who was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. He was given the croft at Balevullin as part of his payment. Mary married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907, and continued to run the croft at Balevullin until the Duke of Argyll reclaimed it in 1903.

p161.jpg

1 2 3 15