Tag Archives: kirkapol

2017.17.2

Booklet ‘The Kirk on the Hill’ by Nicholas MacLean Bristol, Coll, 2007. The story of the Church in the Isle of Coll AD 550-2007. Contains material about Tiree when the parishes were joined (pg6): “…when in 1618 the parishes of Kirkapol and Sorobie in Tiree were united with that of Coll to form the United Parish of Tiree and Coll.”

2013.137.2

Church bell from Kirkapol Church. It had been lying on the ground at the back of the church for many years before being moved to An Iodhlann. An expert on church bells believes that it may have come from “an older church, probably cast sometime in the late 18th – early 19th century” (see 2013.137.1)

2013-137-2

2016.56.1

Collection of 14 colour photo-prints of various scenes from Tiree from 1960 to 2010, including an passenger aircraft at Tiree airport, a double-decker bus at the pier, out-buildings at Coales, an old well, Kilkenneth chapel and Kirkapol farmland. Five of the images are accessioned separately (see 2016.56.2 – 6).

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16