Scan of postcard of Kirkapol church.
Postcard of Kirkpol Parish Church.
The small chapel at Kirkapol
Photograph of the small chapel at Kirkapol in 2001.
Courtesy of Rev. Robert Higham
The smaller and older of the two medieval chapels at Kirkapol was probably dedicated to St Brendan. It stands on a rocky knoll about 80 metres north of the larger chapel which originally served as the island’s Parish Church. Both chapels are constructed from random rubble laid in lime mortar.
The small chapel is a simple oblong in plan with gables to the east and west and measures 7 by 3.5 metres internally. The flat but uneven surface of the rock it stands on serves as the floor.
The south wall of the chapel has partially collapsed but there is still a round-arch door in the west wall. A narrow slit window in the north wall lights what would have been the altar area at the east end.
Colour photograph of one of the Kirkapol chapels.
The smaller of the two Kirkapol chapels, possibly called St Brendan`s, photographed in 2001.
Colour leaflet for Kirkapol Guest House.
Information and photographs of Kirkapol Guest House.
Photocopy of handwritten `Jotting about Tyree` by John MacFarlane, Heylipol School.
Document detailing various aspects of Tyree life in 1873, written for the information of the Duchess of Argyll by the headmster of Heylipol School in 1873.
Two transcriptions of a newspaper article about the funeral of Alexander Henderson.
Description of the funeral procession and burial in Kirkapol graveyard of Alexander Henderson.
Nine Transcripts of Feis lecture `Columba`s Other Island?` given by Prof. Donald Meek in 1997.
St. Columba and early Christianity in Tiree.
Photocopied book extract `List of Inhabitants of Tyree and their Age in September 1779` edited by Eric Cregeen.
The inhabitants listed by township and family.
Click here to view extract 1997.54.1 Cornaigmore