Ornate brass horse buckle found in a stream in Kirkapol (grid ref. NM 04351 47358) by John Wombell of NOSAS. It appears to have been coated with silver, suggesting that it may have belonged to Lady Victoria Campbell who kept a horse-drawn carriage at Kirkapol when she stayed in Tiree around 1910.
White cotton lace-bordered handkerchief made by Katie MacKinnon, Lodge Farm, Kirkapol in around 1920.
Examples of lacework made by Katie MacKinnon, Lodge Farm, Kirkapol, in around 1910.
Tiree Memories calendar 2016, produced by Alec Walker, Edinburgh. Photographs include Hughina MacKinnon (nee MacFadyen; Hughina Eachainn Bhuidhe), 1981; Willie MacPhee and Mary T MacPhee on a motorbike in Scarinish the 1960s; MacArthur’s Store in Scarinish, 1937; a calf being led off the ferry in 1981; Am Baile Ur, Balephuil, 1955; Brown’s Store in Balemartine, 1980; Tiree Aerodrome from the air 1942; groups of crofters at the Agricultural Show at Whitehouse, 2002; Lord of the Isles ferry at the linkspan pier in 1991; sheep shearing at Parkhouse in 1980; Balemartine School children 1947; puffer ‘Anzac’ at Caoles, 1950s; Mary Stewart sailing past Coll in 1930s.
The excavation of the mound at Kirkapol has been completed and the ground returned to its previous state. Many Tiree residents and visitors joined the professional archaeologists in the dig, and they made some wonderful findings. Dr John Holliday has written a short report on the excavation for An Iodhlann’s website. You can read it here.