Tag Archives: kilmoluaig

1 2 3 24

2021.29.2

Gaelic hymn ‘Ionndruim a Chiobair air a Leannan / The shepherd’s love for his sweetheart’ composed by Alexander MacKinnon, Cornaigbeg (1880-1965), with sheet music and comments by his grandson.

Click here to view 2021.29.2

Alexander MacKinnon’s father, also Alexander, Kilmoluaig, was one of the Skerryvore Lighthouse team housed at Hynish. Alexander Sr died from pneumonia contracted after a sea rescue in a storm in 1887(?), after which Alex Jr and his mother had to vacate their Hynish cottage and live with her parents, MacLeans of Cornaigbeg.  Alexander Jr took Divinity at Glasgow University, serving as minister for 33 years at the Presbyterian Church in Manchester, St. Columba’s in Glasgow and at Kilmonivaig at Spean Bridge, amongst others. Former Vice-President of the Tiree Association.

2021.23.1

Two copies of booklet ‘My Hebridean Heritage’ by Alan Iain Cameron, 2020. Alan traces his ancestors back to the early 1700s, identifying his Tiree ancestors as Camerons (Kilmoluaig and Scarinish), MacDonalds, McLeans (Grianal and Cornaigmore), Campbells (Cornaigbeg), Munns, Kennedys and McFadyens (Scarinish).

Text of previous draft: 2019.92.1

2021.4.2

Black & white photograph of GPO engineer Donald Quintin Campbell standing by his company van in summer 1950. Donald, or Donnie or DQ as he was known, was one of the first and longest serving telephone engineers on Tiree. He was sent to the island for a few months under protest in 1948, but ended up staying for 21 years. In 1954, Donald married Jessie MacLean Kennedy of Kilmoluaig, and they lived in Machair House, Ruaig, which was owned by the GPO at the time.

2021.4.1

Black & white photograph of General Post Office (GPO) engineer Donald Quintin Campbell standing by his company van in 1950. Donald, or Donnie or DQ as he was known, was one of the first and longest serving telephone engineers on Tiree. He was sent to the island for a few months under protest in 1948, but ended up staying for 21 years. In 1954, Donald married Jessie MacLean Kennedy of Kilmoluaig, and they lived in Machair House, Ruaig, which was owned by the GPO at the time.

2019.92.1

Detailed genealogical information about the descendents of Hugh Cameron (b ca 1740, probably Kilmoluaig) by Alan Iain Cameron, 2019. Family names include Cameron (Scarinish), Campbell (Cornaigbeg), Currie, Ferguson, Fletcher, Fraser, Kennedy, Logan, McCalman, McColl, McCuarlig, McDonald, McDougall, McFadyen (Scarinish), McFadden, McPhaiden, McGilvray, McInnon, McKinnon, McLean (Greenhill), McMillan, Munn, Sinclair, Smith and Stewart.

Click here for 2019.92.1

2019.71.1

1930s binoculars given to Archie MacLeod, Carrachan, Kilmoluaig, by one of the officers of the destroyer HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks at Sandaig in 1940. Archie (Erchie Charrachain) was home on leave from Gourock where he was skipper on one of the troop tenders based there during WWII. He was present at Sandaig during the rescue and carried ashore on his shoulders one of the Sturdy’s navigating officers who, in a show of gratitude, placed the binoculars around Archie’s neck. Archie’s son, also Archie (Gilleasbuig Carrachan), played with the binoculars as a boy. The binoculars remained in Carrachan until they were passed on to An Iodhlann in 2019.

Includes handwritten history of the binoculars by Gilleasbuig MacLeod.

2019.38.1

Photocopied extract ‘Island of Tiree’ from the report of the excursion of the Cambrian Archaeological Association to the Western Islands of Scotland, Orkney and Caithness in June 1899. Includes geographical and historical descriptions of the island and detailed observations of archaeological sites at Soroby, Kilbride, Ardchain, Kirkapoll, Kilchennich and Kilmoluag, plus mention of Gunna Islet.

1 2 3 24