Printed copy of a report ‘Argyll Islands Study Tour 2004’ by Jim Hill, Isle of Coll. Over the period 29th September to 3rd October, 2004, a group of volunteers from the islands of Lismore, Mull, Tiree, Coll, Jura, Islay, Colonsay and Oronsay, travelled through those islands visiting various local initiatives funded by the Nàdair Trust. The study tour was organised by Argyll & the Islands Enterprise in partnership with the Nadair Trust and supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. The purpose of the tour was to mark the end of the Nadair 1 project, Heritage Tourism Training, led by Argyll & the islands Enterprise and to visit the Nadair 1 completed projects for Tour members to bring back knowledge and lessons learned to their respective islands. Some visits were also arranged to the location of potential Nadair 2 projects. See page 5 for Tiree: Loch Bhasapol surfing/fishing/nature, Rural Centre, An Iodhlann.
Scientific paper ‘A Lateglacial archaeological site in the far north-west of Europe at Rubha Port an t-Seilish, Isle of Islay, western Scotland: Ahrensburgian-style artefacts, absolute dating and geoarchaeology’, by Steven Mithen (University of Reading) and colleagues, 2015. Includes letter to Dr Holliday from Prof. Mithen.
‘Rubha Port an t-Seilich, Isle of Islay – the discovery of ice age pioneers in Scotland’. Glossy report summarising the investigation of archaeological sites on Islay by Steven Mithen and Karen Wicks, University of Reading, 2013.
Newspaper article about the Balephuil fishing disaster, 1856
Photocopy of a newspaper article from the Glasgow Herald, July 1856 (and typed transcript by donor), about the loss of nine fishermen in a storm off Balephuil in 1856. Thirty-nine men set off fishing in six boats but were overtaken by a gale. Thirty out of thirty-three men survived in three boats that made it to Islay. All six were lost from one boat that came ashore on Coll.
Photograph of Duncan MacLean, W.Hynish and his sisters, ca 1900
Sepia photograph from a postcard of Duncan MacLean (a` Chiobair), W.Hynish and his sisters Peigi and Jessie, outside `The Shepherd`s Cottage`, Hynish, ca 1900. L-R: Sine Chaluim Bhàin, Peigi a` Chiobair, Jessie, Duncan MacLean (a` Choibair). Sine looked after Jessie who developed dementia. Another of Duncan`s sisters lived in Islay and was there when one of the boats from Fuadach Bhaile Phuill was blown to Islay. Duncan himself had advised them not to go out that morning. The house was enlarged in 1936. It is in W. Hynish (na Cùiltean) and dates from when E & W Hynish was in one farm under the Factor`s brother (MacQuarrie). (Large printed copy and information stored in filing cabinet 9 drawer 3)
Report on the archaeological evaluation of Mesolithic sites on Islay, 2011
Booklet reporting on the findings of archaelogical investigations of Storakaig and Rubha Port an t-Seilich on Islay by the East Islay Mesolithic Project, lead by Professor Steven Mithen from the University of Reading during 2009-2011.