Black & white photo postcard of the lighthouse keepers’ cottages and signalling tower at Hynish in around the early 1900s.
Gaelic hymn ‘Ionndruim a Chiobair air a Leannan / The shepherd’s love for his sweetheart’ composed by Alexander MacKinnon, Cornaigbeg (1880-1965), with sheet music and comments by his grandson.
Click here to view 2021.29.2
Alexander MacKinnon’s father, also Alexander, Kilmoluaig, was one of the Skerryvore Lighthouse team housed at Hynish. Alexander Sr died from pneumonia contracted after a sea rescue in a storm in 1887(?), after which Alex Jr and his mother had to vacate their Hynish cottage and live with her parents, MacLeans of Cornaigbeg. Alexander Jr took Divinity at Glasgow University, serving as minister for 33 years at the Presbyterian Church in Manchester, St. Columba’s in Glasgow and at Kilmonivaig at Spean Bridge, amongst others. Former Vice-President of the Tiree Association.
Pages from the Proceedings of the Royal Physical Society, 1862, with an article titled ‘Alteration of Sea-level in the Island of Tiree’ by Alexander Scott, describing traditional rock fishing methods of ancient origin at Hynish Point, which indicate the drop in sea level since ancient times.
Click here to view full text 2021.7.3
Softback book ‘Off the Beaten Track’ by Bob Chambers, 2018. Describes the role of roads and other infrastructure in the life or death of new crofting townships in remote Hebridean communities of the 1920s and 1930s. Includes information about Hynish, pp 94-100.
Results of research confirming that there is a connection between MacLeans on Tiree and McLeans from Treshnish on Mull. Compiled by genealogist Flo Straker, May 2020.
“The 10th and last Treshnish McLean (the Treshnish family dropped the “a”), born in around 1699, lost Treshnish to the Campbells in 1768. The McLeans of Treshnish were then evicted and dispersed to other parts of Mull, and some records indicate also to Tiree”, Ronald W Collins, USA, 2020.
Click here to view 2020.35.1
Photocopied extract from an architect’s design report regarding the repairs and conversion of the Old Barracks building at Hynish, 1990. Prepared by ARP Architects and Quantity Surveyors for The Hebridean Trust.
Magazine article about the construction of Skerryvore Lighthouse, 1838-1844, by James Petre. Published in ‘Scottish Islands’, Mar/Apr 2019, pages 28-31.