Photograph of the Galbraith croft house at Balevullin ca. 1890
Black & white photograph of (probably) the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin in around 1890. James Galbraith (1821-1903) was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.
Collection of poems about Tiree by author Donald Murray, 2011
Collection of 15 English poems written by Donald Murray (author of `The Guga Hunters`) during his visit to Tiree in summer 2011. Donald has Tiree ancestors and comes from Lewis. Subjects include corncrakes, family, houses, cattle, Skerryvore lighthouse, machair, St. Patricks Chapel, wartime, travelling around Argyll, hares. Includes a covering letter from Donald to An Iodhlann.
Photograph of “Taigh Bean an Sgiobair”, Mannal ca. 1900
Black & white photograph of “Taigh Bean an Sgiobair”, Mannal, taken by Erskine Beveridge during 1896-1901. House No. 3 is in the background (see P132). See also P134 for a later photo of the same house.
Photograph of “Taigh Bean an Sgiobar”, Mannal, ca 1900.
Black & white photograph of “Taigh Bean an Sgiobar”, Mannal, taken by Erskine Beveridge during 1896-1901. A later photograph of P133. Note that the gable wall has been painted and the garden and surrounding vegetation has grown. The figure is probably the wife of the skipper, Sinclair, who came from Orkney to work on the Skerryvore lighthouse.
Black & white photograph of Baugh House taken by Erskine Beveridge during 1896-1901. Built as the doctor`s house for Dr Buchanan, whose horse and trap is by the door. The original doctor`s `cottage` is beside the L-shaped barn. At the time, the doctor’s living was made from Baugh Farm. Baugh House is still used as the doctor`s residence.