Photograph of the Tiree Home Guard during World War II.
The Home Guard, initially known as the Local Defence Volunteers, was created in 1940 to defend Britain against a possible German invasion. At first they were very poorly armed; it was not until 1943 they were a properly trained and equipped force.
The Tiree Home Guard was organised under the factor MacLaren and the gamekeeper Graham. There were weekly drills with parade ground work, sentry duty and shooting practice. Lookouts were posted at various vantage points around the island: Ben Hough, the Signalling Tower at Hynish, Tur Mhic Chaluim in Kilkenneth, Cnoc Ibrig at Baugh and the broch at Caoles.
Following the successful Allied offensive in France and the drive towards Germany, the Home Guard were formally stood down in December 1944 and finally disbanded a year later
Audio cassette recording of Duncan MacPhee talking to Reg Knapman.
Duncan MacPhee talks to Reg Knapman about the Customs & Excise, smuggling, brewing and shebeens, methods of building, Captain Robert Nisbet of Heanish, Captain Donald MacKinnon of the `Taeping`, the Home Guard, HMS Sturdy, the history of Scarinish piers, his family, the ferry service before the pier, Niall and Iain Alainn, Lady Victoria Campbell and Lord Ash, Lady Ferguson and Miss Gibb, the Dukes of Argyll, Tiree boat building, superstitions and some old stories.