Tag Archives: ferries

2000.7.2.1

Magazine articles `Tiree Portfolio` and `Gott Bay Pier, Isle of Tiree` from Caledonian MacBrayne staff magazine `Brayne Waves`, 1997

(1) `Tiree Portfolio` was written with contributions from Hector MacPhail and records which boats served Tiree, their captains, cargo handling methods, and improvements at the Pier, (2) `Gott Bay Pier, Isle of Tiree` was written by Alexander MacArthur, (Balemartine) who worked on the SS Hebrides. He gives an account of cargo handling including cattle and vehicles.

2000.210.5

M.V. ‘Claymore’ at Gott Bay pier in 1964

Photograph of M.V. ‘Claymore’ at Gott Bay pier in 1964.

l86.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Janis Cuevas

Launched in 1955 from the Dumbarton yard of Wm. Denny & Bros., the M.V. ‘Claymore’ was the second vessel of that name in the MacBrayne fleet. Driven by twin screws, she had a tonnage of 1,024 and a speed of 12½ knots.

The ship could carry 494 passengers, about a hundred tons of cargo, up to eleven motor vehicles and twenty-six head of cattle. The passenger accommodation was beautifully furnished and comprised a first-class observation lounge and bar, a second-class open lounge, two first-class de luxe staterooms, a hospital room, and first- and second-class dining-saloons. Berths were provided to sleep fifty-six.

She sailed from Oban to Tobermory, Coll, Tiree, Castlebay and Lochboisedale three days a week until 1976 when she was sold to Canopus Shipping of Piraeus. She was later renamed the ‘City of Hydra’ and used for day cruises to the Greek islands of Hydra and Poros.

Colour photograph of the MV Claymore.

The MV Claymore at Gott Bay pier in 1964.

2002.36.1

Newspaper cutting `Pay to stay` about the ferry service to Tiree.

Account of interview with Dr james Hunter who is of the opinion that CalMac provides a poor ferry service to Tiree.