Large, carved, wooden lamp-shade made in the 1960s by Hugh MacDonald, Kenovay, for the Church of Scotland at Kirkapol. It was installed above the pulpit when electricity first became available on the island.
Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 450, 11/09/2009
Local news: advert for a community Youth Worker; Gaelic poem ‘Tir Lurach‘ by Alec MacLean; An Iodhlann’s 1950 newspaper articles from the archive – no films for Tiree, distress flares off Hynish, youth let off distress flares, problems over electricity supply; TEAR home-composting event; RSPB news; dead leatherback turtle at W Hynish; community windturbine update; article by Matt Boyd about running the New York marathon; letter to the editor about HMS Sturdy; election of community councillors; High School mountain challenge; High School gala day schedule; search for Gaelic-speaking child to star in Hollywood film.
Colour photograph of a Navy ‘Wasp’ helicopter taking off from the Decca HIFIX caravan at Aird, Cornaigmore, in 1970. HIFIX stations were located at several spots in the Hebrides for relaying messages to/from survey vessels at sea, which were recording the topography of the ocean floor. The Navy had sent personnel ashore by helicopter to lay a cable from the mains electricity suppy to the caravan, in response to a complaint by the occupier of the house, Mr A Campbell, about the noise made by the caravan’s generator.
Colour photograph of the Decca HIFIX mast and caravan next to the house at Aird, Cornaigmore, in 1970. HIFIX stations were located at several spots in the Hebrides for relaying messages to/from survey vessels at sea, which were recording the topography of the ocean floor. The house in the photograph was occupied by Mr A Campbell, who “complained about the generator noise. He had spent his life at sea in engine rooms and thought he deserved a peaceful retirement”. As a consequence, a cable from the caravan was connected to the mains electricity supply. Includes additional emailed information.
Draft report about the potential impacts of a large windfarm off the coast of Tiree, 2012. Prepared by Ironside Farrar Consultants on behalf of the Tiree Onshore Scenario Mapping Steering Group.
Lead and acid accumulator `battery` used in the 1940s
Lead-acid 2V accumulator made by the Chloride Electrical Storage Company around 1940-1950. Two lead plates submerged in sulphuric acid (no longer present) within a glass box with carrying handle. The accumulator would be charged every week and used for powering radio sets (heated the valves).
Wooden carrying box for glass accumulator
Wooden carrying box for a glass lead-acid accumulator battery. Recreated by John Fletcher, Balemartine, from one belonging to Dugald MacArthur, tailor, Balemartine.
Section of sub-sea power cable between Tiree & Gunna
Section of the sub-sea power cable that conducts electricity to Tiree from the mainland. The section was cut from between Gunna and Tiree when the power cable was broken and replaced in 2011. Three-phase current at 11,000 volts (compared with the Islay cable which operates at 33,000 volts). Yellow and black outer sheath, inner protection of ring of steel wires, followed by ring of lead insulation around inner electrical cable of three copper cores.
Information pamphlet about the Argyll Array offshore wind farm
Colour information pamphlet about the proposed `Argyll Array` offshore wind farm, that Scottish Power Renewables planned to site off Tiree`s western shore, from 5km offshore to Skerryvore, and announcing public information days in Coll and Tiree in September 2010.