Hardback book ‘Gaelic Scotland: The Transformation of a Culture Region’ by W. J. Withers, 1988. Covers the process of cultural change in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, particularly during the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. (Including policies of successive governments, the decline of the Gaelic language, and the Clearances.) Tiree mentioned pages 8, 181, 209, 214, 219, 225, 241, 285, 357, 359, 373-5 & 380.
Hardback book ‘The Phonetics of the Gaelic Language and a System of Phonography’ by Malcolm MacFarlane, 1889. Includes exposition of orthography. Presented to Cornaigmore library in 1906 by James Coats, Jnr of Ferguslie House, Paisley, who donated hundreds of books to Tiree’s schools and to the Reading Room (now An Iodhlann).
Hardback book ‘Gaelic in Scotland 1698-1981: The Geographical History of a Language’ by Charles W. J. Withers, 1984. Foreword by Derick S. Thomson. Surprisingly little is known of the geographical history of Gaelic: where and when it was spoken in the past, and how and why the Gaelic-speaking area of Scotland has retreated and the language declined. This book answers four broad questions: what has been the geography of Gaelic in the past? How has that geography changed over time and space? What have been the patterns of language use within the Gaidhealtachd in the past? And what have been the processes of language change? Tiree mentioned pages 50, 68, 207, 221, 299, 311.
Collection of four school books from Ruaig and Cornaig schools in the 1950s: (1) The New Speed and Accuracy Tests in Arithmetic, Book 1, by CW Saurin, published by Blackie and Son, Glasgow, (2) Holmes’ New Comprehensive Arithmetic, Book 4, W&R Holmes, Glasgow, (3) Third English Workbook, by Ronald Ridout, published by Ginn & Co., London, (4) Blackie’s New Systematic English Readers, Second Reader, by Eleanor I Chambers, published by Blackie & Son, Glasgow.
Hardback book ‘Oban High School – the first 100 years’, 1993. Published to celebrate the centenary in 1992, describes principal events, educational trends and reminiscences by former pupils. Also includes FP Association in Glasgow and the Rector’s view of the future.
Information about JR Morrison, Headmaster of Cornaigmore School in 1933.
Letter to An Iodhlann containing biographical information about John Rae Morrison (1902-1986), Headmaster of Cornaigmore School in 1933. Dated 17 Oct. 2011 and containing a duplicate copy of a photograph of pupils and staff at Cornaigmore School in 1933 (Q63). [This is a more complete copy of photo Q63 and was used to replace the archive copy].
Collection of documents, histories, drawings and photographs relating to the Galbraith/MacDonald family of Balevullin and Kilmoluaig
Copies of a collection of official documents, family tree, history, hand-drawings and photographs relating to the Galbraith family of Balevullin, and the MacDonald family of Kilmoluaig, 1821-2009. James Galbraith (1821-1903) came to Tiree from Gigha with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The factor relocated the MacLeod family to Kilmoluaig to make way for him. His third daughter Janet Wotherspoon Galbraith (b. 1872) married Donald MacDonald of Kilmoluaig in 1905. She drowned at Loch Bhasapol aged 64. Items include: a short biography of Sarah Grant Galbraith m.Donald (1886-1917) by Erica McKellar, extracts of census/birth/marriage/death records for Sarah Galbraith (1868-), John MacDonald, Cornaigmore (1869-), Mary Galbraith, Balevullin (1869-), Donald MacDonald, Kilmoluaig (1865-), Janet Galbraith, Balevullin (1874-), Angus MacDonald, Kilmoluaig (1909-), Jessie Wotherspoon MacDonald, Balevullin (1898), Mary MacDonald, Heylipol (1882-), Mary Flora MacDonald, Kilmoluaig (1910-1969), James Galbraith MacDonald, Balevullin (1908-). Report from the Sheriff Court, Oban, and correspondence between Argyll Estate, Sarah Galbraith and her solicitors regarding the legal title to the Galbraith croft at Balevullin, 1903-1913. Rental receipts for the croft at Balevullin 1907-1909, family tree for the descendants of Janet Wotherspoon & James Galbraith, hand-drawings of headstones at Soroby Cemetry and the location of the wreck of the `Vivo` by James Galbraith, transcript of the headstone for Hector, Sarah and Malcolm Smith 1835-1900, telegraph message regarding the death of James Galbraith`s `Uncle Archie` 1907. Family tree and notes for the Wotherspoon family genealogy. Information for 19 photographs.
Photograph of James Galbraith (1821-1903), Balevullin, his wife and two grandchildren, ca 1890.
Black & white photograph of (probably) James Galbraith, Balevullin, Head of the Parochial School at Balevullin from 1874, his wife Janet (Wotherspoon) Galbraith and two of their Donald grandchildren, at the croft house at Balevullin around 1890. James and his family were originally from Gigha. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.
Photograph of the Galbraith croft house at Balevullin ca. 1890
Black & white photograph of (probably) the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin in around 1890. James Galbraith and his family came to Tiree from Gigha in 1875 to take up the position of Head of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.
List of prizewinners and programme for the Tiree High School Awards Ceremony in 1989
Typed list of names and classes of prizewinning pupils of Tiree High School in 1989, and a programme for the Awards Ceremony on Friday 16th June 1989. Found in Flora MacArthur`s house (now demolished) at Sandaig 2010.