Bound manuscript ‘A History of Port Bàn, Isle of Tiree – Croft, Croft House and Crofters’ by Alice Renton, Port Bàn, Caoles, 2016.
Innes’s Farmers’ Movement of Stock Register belonging to Alex Kennedy, Moss, covering the period 1943-1960. The Movement of Animals Order of 1925, required that all movements of livestock to and from the farm/croft had to be recorded.
Click here to view 2016.4.1
Two DVDs (part 1 and part 2) of a Channel 4 documentary ‘Edgeland’, produced in 1986, about new crofting legislation, the Crofters Commission and the future and history of crofting in the Highlands and islands. Topics include the Crofters’ War, peat cutting, mussel and salmon farming, fishing, forestry, the Cruachan Dam, the Invergordon smelter and the Outer Hebrides.
Part 1 includes footage of Tiree and interviews with local crofters Alec MacArthur, Heylipol, and Alastair MacInnes, Ruaig, and one with Peter Fairweather, the factor for Argyll Estates. With scenes of Balephetrish, hay-making, sheep shearing, a sheep sale at the old auction mart at Crossapol Farm, Balemartine, the airport, plane and fire service, Balephuil and Ruaig.
Newsletter `An Tirisdeach`, No. 434, 24/01/2009
Local news: winter 2008 Rural Skills update; Tiree Trust news; RSPB information; Government`s agriculture proposals; SWRI meeting news; Agricultural Show Home Industries schedule.
Long, two-handed, wood and iron scythe for harvesting hay and cereals. From the belongings of Angus MacLean, Scarinish.
Map showing Land Settlement Schemes on Tiree, pre-1919 to 1939
Composite map produced by Bob Chambers in 2014, showing the major land areas affected by the Land Settlement Schemes administerd by the Board of Agriculture before 1919 and on privately owned land during 1919-1939, newholdings and enlarged holdings. Also includes Bob`s covering letter and CD of map and other repated plans (2014.67.2-7). Also held on computer/Digital Documents.
© Bob Chambers
Map showing subdivision of Greenhill Farm, 1912
Plan of Greenhill Farm drawn up by the Board of Agriculture in 1912 showing the areas to be divided into crofts and allocated as common grazings as part of the Land Settlement Schemes.
© National Archives of Scotland