Tag Archives: crofters and crofting

1 2 3 40

2017.7.2

Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Duncan MacDonald, Lower Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Alexander MacLean (Snr), Caoles; Hugh MacLean, Caoles; John MacFadyen, Caoles; Hector MacDonald, Caoles; Lachlan MacLean, Caoles; Alexander MacLean (Jnr), Caoles; Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).

2017.6.4

Hardback book ‘Gaelic Scotland: The Transformation of a Culture Region’ by W. J. Withers, 1988. Covers the process of cultural change in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland, particularly during the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. (Including policies of successive governments, the decline of the Gaelic language, and the Clearances.) Tiree mentioned pages 8, 181, 209, 214, 219, 225, 241, 285, 357, 359, 373-5 & 380.

2015.65.2

Two DVDs (part 1 and part 2) of a Channel 4 documentary ‘Edgeland’, produced in 1986, about new crofting legislation, the Crofters Commission and the future and history of crofting in the Highlands and islands. Topics include the Crofters’ War, peat cutting, mussel and salmon farming, fishing, forestry, the Cruachan Dam, the Invergordon smelter and the Outer Hebrides.

Part 1 includes footage of Tiree and interviews with local crofters Alec MacArthur, Heylipol, and Alastair MacInnes, Ruaig, and one with Peter Fairweather, the factor for Argyll Estates. With scenes of Balephetrish, hay-making, sheep shearing, a sheep sale at the old auction mart at Crossapol Farm, Balemartine, the airport, plane and fire service, Balephuil and Ruaig.

2014.67.8

Crofters Commission report 1904 about croft enlargements at Cornaigbeg, Kenovay and Balinoe.

Photocopied extracts from the Report by The Crofters Commision (1905) regarding applications by six crofters of Cornaigbeg and Kenovay to enlarge their land holdings into parts of Crossapol Farm tenanted by Thomas Barr, and applications by five crofters of Balinoe to extend their holdings into Heylipol Farm tenanted by Hugh MacDiarmid.

2014.67.1

Map showing Land Settlement Schemes on Tiree, pre-1919 to 1939

Composite map produced by Bob Chambers in 2014, showing the major land areas affected by the Land Settlement Schemes administerd by the Board of Agriculture before 1919 and on privately owned land during 1919-1939, newholdings and enlarged holdings. Also includes Bob`s covering letter and CD of map and other repated plans (2014.67.2-7). Also held on computer/Digital Documents.

 

 

 

 

© Bob Chambers

1 2 3 40