Tag Archives: cornaigbeg

1 2 3 32

2017.4.2

Photocopy of a typed transcript of an interview with Hector MacPhail, Cornaigbeg, on 19 May 1992, about himself, boats, sea transport and sailors, with particular reference to Allan MacFadyen, Scarinish, and ships the Mary Stewart and the Mary & Effie. Topics also include alchohol taxation, violence, Clearances, landowners, hotels, Crofters’ War, coal puffers. The interviewer is given only as ‘Smith’.

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16

2016.44.1

Book ‘Twentieth-Century Crofting Schemes on Tiree and Coll’ by Bob Chambers, 2016, with foreword by Prof. Donald Meek, Caoles.  Shortly before and shortly after WWI, over 100 new crofts were created on Tiree and Coll, and almost 40 existing crofts were enlarged. The impact on the islands was enormous, wide-ranging and long-lasting, particularly on Tiree.

2016.14.1

University assignment ‘The Isle of Tiree: One of a Kind’ written in 2013 by Leanne Piper, University of Guelph, Canada, who is descended from emmigrants John MacKinnon (1816-1896) and Grace Campbell (b.1811), Cornaigbeg. Includes information on geography, crofting history, geology, the kelp industry and architecture.

Click here to view 2016.14.1

2014.67.8

Crofters Commission report 1904 about croft enlargements at Cornaigbeg, Kenovay and Balinoe.

Photocopied extracts from the Report by The Crofters Commision (1905) regarding applications by six crofters of Cornaigbeg and Kenovay to enlarge their land holdings into parts of Crossapol Farm tenanted by Thomas Barr, and applications by five crofters of Balinoe to extend their holdings into Heylipol Farm tenanted by Hugh MacDiarmid.

1 2 3 32