Lump of ‘sea coal’ found at Port a’ Mhuilinn, Hynish (grid ref. NL 97995 38780), from one of two shipwrecks, either the coal puffer ‘Regina’ 1872 (Canmore ID# 256038), or the cargo steam ship ‘Marchioness of Lorne’ 1875.
Bronze bravery medal from the Royal Humane Society of London awarded to Archibald MacLean Jr for his participation in the rescue of the remaining crew of the gale-stricken schooner ‘Maria and Fanny’, off Kenavara, Balephuil Bay, in 1868. The rescue was carried out at great risk, and all eight members of the crew, including the captain, were given awards by the Royal Humane Society.
The latin inscription reads “LATEAT SCINTILLVLA FORSAN ; SOC.LOND.IN.RESVSCITAT ; INTERMORTVORVM (?)INSTIT ; MDCCLXXIV” one one side, and “HOC PRETIVM CIVE SERVATO TVLIT ; VIT.OB.SERV.D.D. SOC.REG HVM.” on the other.
Memoirs of Alistair MacNeill, Hynish, ‘They were our Vital Sparks’ which recall his fascination with the coal puffers that visited Hynish to off-load coal and other goods during the 1950s. The puffers also took away bundles of kelp for processing on the mainland.
Click here to view 2017.70.4
Printed memoir of a childhood spent on Tiree during WWII by Barry Kerr, 2015. Barry’s father, George (Jock) Kerr, was posted on the island as an RAF Signals and Telegraph Officer. Barry recalls the ‘black house’ he lived in at Balephetrish, the coal puffers, Cornaig school and prisoners of war.
Click here to view 2015.64.1
Front cover of a Bernard D Smith & Son calendar
Cardboard front cover of a calendar(? 2013?) made by and advertising Bernard D Smith & Son builders, West Hynish, showing a black & white photograph of the coal puffer `Anzac` unloading coal on Caoles beach in 1952. Photograph accessioned separately as U152.
Coal from the SS `Vivo` in 1890
Two lumps of coal(?) said to have come from the steam ship `Vivo` which was wrecked off Balevullin in 1890.
Photograph of the coal ship Loch Iorsa aground in Arinagour harbour in 1920
Black & white photograph of the ship Loch Iorsa aground on rocks in Arinagour harbour, Coll, in 1920. Her cargo of coal for the island is being transferred to the other ship. The small ‘white’ shed to the right of the boats, built on stilts close to the shore, was `the post office above the waves` and built for Robert Sturgeon, Dalbeattie, who also established a fish buying and processing unit. Tiree folk traded with Robert Sturgeon. See also 2013.138.2 by Robert Sturgeon.