Tag Archives: chapels

1 2 3 12

2021.53.87

Digital copy of Description of Tiree from a book published in 1808. Consists of a handwritten transcription from a book, and includes mentions of: Island House, crops, livestock, caves at Ceanm-harra [Kenavara], the Reef, duns [brochs], St Patrick’s Chapel, the discovery of coins in ‘small earthen vessels’, and the discovery of human and horse skeletons in Cornaigbeg. The document also mentions that the ancient name of Tiree was Riog-Hachd-bar-Fathuim, ‘the Kingdom whose summits are lower than the waves’.

Click to view a transcript of this item.

Click to view a record for this item on Inveraray’s online catalogue.

From the archives of the Dukes of Argyll at Inveraray Castle, made available through the Written in the Landscape project.

2022.3.1

Large collection of documents from the Tiree Association 1945-2003: 10 ledgers of minutes from meetings May 1945 to 2000; 8 folders of correspondence 1987-1995; 6 folders regarding Glasgow functions 1987-1993; 1 folder of summer functions (Tiree) 1987; 6 folders regarding Annual Gatherings 1987-1992; 1 folder of AGM booklets 1988-1995; 1 folder of miscellanea – centenary celebrations, photo of directors(?) ca 1990, document about restoration of Kirkapol Chapels, rough draft of Nud’s Notebook, list of Life Members and Life Membership card, Tiree Cycle 2002, Burn’s Night 2002, Gathering concert 2003, Jubilee souvenir programmes from 1950 and 1960, founding document for An Iodhlann 1996.

A summary of the history of the Tiree Association was compiled from these documents by Dr John Holliday in Sìl Eòlais No. 44, November 2021. Minutes from before May 1945 were destroyed in a fire.

2021.7.2

Pages from the Antiquary Magazine, 1907, with an illustrated article titled ‘Some Antiquities of Tiree’ by WG Collingwood, about duns and ancient chaples on the island. Mentions the Temperance Hotel in Scarinish and the prosperous appearance of local housing.

Click here to view 2021.7.2

2017.54.9

Coloured photograph of ‘Ruined Temple, Kenavara’, 1941-43, taken by archaeologist George Holleyman FSA when he was stationed at RAF Tiree during WWII. Scanned from one of his hand-coloured glass lantern slides now held at An Iodhlann (see 2017.54.4). This is Saint Patrick’s Chapel with Travee (Balephuil Beach) beyond.

 

2016.44.5

Academic paper ‘Beyond the Parish Church: a study of chapels in the parishes of Kirkapol on Tiree and Snizort on Skye’ by Sarah Thomas, 2015. Identification of different chapel types and the implications for understanding medieval religious devotions, demonstrating the breadth and diversity of religious practice in the late medieval Hebrides.

1 2 3 12