Small, wooden, hand-turned, table-top, butter churn from the early 1900s.
Newspaper cutting showing children using a round glass butter churn
Colour photograph with caption about children making butter by traditional methods. The glass butter churn pictured is similar to the one donated to An Iodhlann by Mairi Campbell, except that it is round whereas hers is square. Includes laminated photocopy.
Two scallop-shaped butter dish souvenirs from 1957
Two tin butter dishes in the shape of scallop shells bearing a blue badge showing the crofters stook, rake and pitch-fork emblam, and a red scroll beneath reading “Tiree”. Each has a white mica lining which was removed for washing. Souvenirs bought on the island in 1957. Also a letter from the donors.
Glass butter churn made around 1900 with metal handle and turning mechanism, and replacement wooden paddle. Last used by Mairi Campbell in the 1950s to make butter in the winter when the cows produced much less milk. The original paddle rotted and the replacement made by John Fletcher, Balemartine, in 2010. Spare replacement paddle included.