Tag Archives: buildings

1 10 11 12

1998.174.1

Black and white postcard of Am Bail`Ur / The New Village, Balephuil, around 1900.

r2.jpg

Postcard of Bail`Ur, Balephuil around 1900. Houses L-R: Taigh Iain Bhlac (his first thatched house at present-day cattle-grid); Taigh Iain ’ic Dhòmhnaill Mhòir (MacDonald); Taigh Mòr an Tuathanaich / Dhomhnaill Mhic Nèill (MacNeill); Taigh Nèill Òig / Chaluim Nèill Òig (Sinclair); Taigh Dhonnchaidh Mhurchaidh (Campbell); Bùth Iain ‘ic Dhòmhnaill Mhòir (MacDonald); Taigh Sheumais Bhàin (MacDonald); Taigh Fhearchair/Taigh Chailein Fhearchair (MacDonald); Taigh MhacÀidh (Mackay) / Ealasdair Iain Mhòir / a’ Ghreusaiche  (MacArthur); Taigh Màiri Bheag; Taigh Ealasdair Bhrùin (Brown); Bùth/Taigh Ealasdair Lachainn (Mackinnon); Taigh Dhòmhnaill ‘ic Lachainn (Mackinnon); Taigh Chlèabhair (John Kennedy); Taigh na Coinneimh /  Balephuil Mission House; Taigh Chaluim Nèill (Brown); Taigh Ghilleasbaig Chaimbeil (Campbell)

Amendments to house names provided by Ailean Boyd, Balephuil.

2002.188.2.1

Three handwritten letters about the burning of a shepherd`s cottage on the Reef, 1899

Copies of three letters: (1) from the factor Hugh MacDiarmid dated 31/3/1899 about the burning of a shepherd`s cottage on the Reef, Tom Barr`s involvement and the decoration of the Lodge, (2) private postscript attached to letter from factor Hugh MacDiarmid dated 31/3/1899 about Tom Barr whom he finds `a violent tempered man`, (3) from solicitors Lindsay Howe & Co of Edinburgh dated 14/3/1899 re the burning of a shepherd`s cottage on the Reef and who is responsible for its restoration.

1997.233.5

Audio cassette recording of Duncan MacPhee talking to Reg Knapman.

Duncan MacPhee talks to Reg Knapman about the Cornaigbeg and Scarinish MacLeans, Ciorstaidh Mhor, his grandparents, Scarinish farms, his father and old stories, Balephetrish houses and Tom Barr, his early working days, the building trade, his wife, crimes, boarded-outs. Mary Ann Munn of Crossapol also recorded.

1999.7.4

Twenty-two photographs of Tiree from RCAHMS, 1900-1977

.

1997.14.1.1

Photograph and postcard of Scarinish with accompanying letter from donor.

(1) Photocopy of photograph of Scarinish harbour during a regatta in 1936 showing the old store on the right which was demolished c. 1942. The woman third from the left is Mary MacFadyen from Shore Cottage, Scarinish. (2) Photocopy of postcard of Scarinish harbour showing the old store in the centre, the `Mary Stewart` and a thatched cottage on the left belonging to the MacCallum family.

1 10 11 12