Four black & white photographs of the family of Hector MacLean (1882/3-1970), Kenovay and Balephetrish, and his wife Margaret/Maggie Janet/Jessie McMaster, during 1940-1960. Top: the wedding of Hector’s son, Donald McLean, in around 1940. (L-R) Alister McLean (nephew of Hector), Donald McLean, Margaret (Donald’s bride), Margaret McLean (daughter of Hector). Middle: the wedding party including Hector (2nd from left), Maggie Jessie (next to Alister), Donald Archie McLean and his wife Euphemia (2nd row, 3rd & 4th from right). Bottom left: Hector on far right, and Maggie Jessie 2nd from the left. Bottom right: Hector’s house at Druimfraoich, Kenovay in 1956, after restoration. Part of a large collection of items belonging to and about Donald Archibald McLean, Kenovay (1890-1981), and his family.
Booklet ‘The Archaeology of Scottish Thatch’ by Timothy G Holden. Technical Advice Note 13 produced by the Technical Conservation, Research and Education Division of Historic Scotland, Edinburgh, 1998. A description of the various materials and methods used to thatch houses throughout Scotland.
Local news: school children visit the Tobermory lifeboat at Scarinish; community windturbine update; Will Wright completes Big Ben Nevis triathlon; Lunch Club to continue; advice on flu vaccinations; An Talla news; TRD applies for funding for cinema at aution mart; forthcoming Tiree Wave Classic; letters to the editor – bad house-building practices; announcement of public meeting regarding management of increasing numbers of campervans and caravans; swine flu on the increase; Michael Holliday announces Tiree house design surgeries; review of Crofting Reform bill; RSPB news by John Bowler.
Local news: Agricultural Show results; Tiree Regatta results; Tiree architecture exhibition report; Feis Thiriodh 2009 report; request for new members of Tiree Rural Development; An Iodhlann’s article ‘Sheaves from the Stackyard’ about schools and staff; new recycling and refuse collection scheme – Tiree Environment and Recycling (TEAR); poem about Tiree by Joseph Thompson; news about the ferry service’s Road Equivalent Tariff (RET); PC Danny Lapsley receives Queen’s Police Medal at Holyrood; Stramash dinghy sailing courses schedule; notice about start of groundworks for the community turbine; RSPB news; new leaflet for responsible visitors; community Powerdown information about low-energy light bulbs; QMS Scottish Sheep Strategy Group open night and demonstration at Heylipol Farm; Mull Theatre play.
Local news: report on the meeting to discuss the Crofters’ Reform Bill; article about Skerryvore’s debut at ‘T in the Park’; forthcoming launch of Skippinish’s live album; Michael Holliday’s article promoting a public event exhibiting Tiree building design; interview with Operations Director of Atlantic Edge Hotels which now runs both the Scarinish and Lodge hotels; opening of new guest house ‘Rockvale’ at Balephetrish; letters to the editor about a visitor’s perspective of island culture, Angus MacPhail’s interview for the Oban Times, and a drunk driving incident; invitation from Strathclyde Police for potential Special Constables to come forward; Job Centre visit to Tiree; RSPB news; corncrake in the office; article by Alan Reid MP; community Powerdown home energy check; responsible access to Tiree’s beaches; conserving water supplies; Tiree Regatta advertisement.
Local news: Tiree Pipe Band wins Strathaven Gala shield; Feis Thiriodh 2009 schedule; Atlantic Rising project starts on Tiree; Tiree Community Broadband update; Tiree Open golf competition; Team Tiree moonwalk; Strathclyde police officials visit by helicopter; use of passing places by motorists; Baugh Church re-development project; funds raised by Tiree 10K events for Tiree Windsurfing Club; The Cooperative invests in Tiree food store; Saoghal nan Gaidheal / Life of the Gael 2009 – photographic competition for children to promote use of Gaelic; school news; local band Skerryvore prepare for their ‘T in the Park’ debut; Agricultural Show home industries schedule.
Colour photographs of the thatched houses at Sandaig in 1988. The row of houses and barns was renovated by the Hebridean Trust, using traditional marram grass, and opened to the public as a museum. It closed in 2010 and was sold into private ownership. It has since been renovated again and the roofs replaced with reed thatch and black felt.