Colour photograph of a model ship in a bottle, ‘The Mary D’, made by Sam Stevenson, Crossapol. Sam Stevenson made several ships in bottles. ‘The Mary D’ is the last one he made. Courtesy of Monica Smith.
Stoneware bottle made by R. White, London (regd). It would have been stoppered with a cork.
Robert & Mary White started selling ginger beer in 1845 from their home in Camberwell. By 1869, they had five factories. The company was taken over by Whitbread in the 1960s, and by Britvic in 1986. The bottles could be returned: “R White’s ginger beer goes off pop, a penny on the bottle when you take it to the shop“. Stealing the bottles and making drinks to sell in another manufacturer’s name was a common offence – hence the ‘regd’ mark.
Small clear glass rectangular ‘Sloans Liniment’ bottle found on Soroby Beach. Sloans liniment was made between 1890 and 1913 for applying to the skin to ease muscle and joint pain. Initially made for treating horses, but was found affective on people also.
Green glass soda/mineral water bottle known as a ‘torpedo’ or ‘Hamilton’ bottle. The bottom is round so that it must be stored on its side in order to keep the cork wet and prevent the gas from escaping. Torpedo bottles were manufactured during most of the 1800s. Found in rocks on Gott Bay.
Stoneware/ceramic ammonia bottle labelled ‘Plynine Co.y Ltd., Edinburgh, Household Ammonia’ and ‘It is illegal for any other than the Plynine Co.y Ltd. to refill this bottle with ammonia’. Dating from the late 1800’s. It would have had a screw stopper. Found in an old dump at Vaul.