Tag Archives: balinoe

1 2 3 10

2019.91.1

Copies of documents and correspondence between An Iodhlann’s genealogist Flo Straker and Kathryn McKinnon Berthold regarding the descendants of Murdoch Campbell, Balinoe (b. ca 1725). Names include Duncan Campbell, Balephuil (1853-1932) and his wife Janet Black (d. 1930); Hector Campbell (b. 1778); John Black (1820-1876); Murdoch Campbell, Balinoe (1805-1876); Alexander Campbell & Cath McDonald; Catherine McMillan, Kenovay.

2019.13.1

Information about the MacFarlanes of Balinoe and Elgin, 1858-1876, including the (1) marriage certificate for Rev James MacFarlane, Balinoe, and Isabella Farquharson, Cornaig, on Tiree in 1858, (2) death certificate for Isabella MacFarlane in Elgin in 1865, (3) 1871 Elgin census record listing James MacFarlane, (4) death certificate for James MacFarlane, 1876. Includes additional family history information emailed by the donor.

Click here to view marriage certificate; death certificates for Isabella and James

After their marriage in 1858, the MacFarlanes moved to Elgin where James took up the position of Baptist Minister. When Isabella died, aged only 34 years, she left three children: Archibald (b. ca 1860), Margaret (b. ca 1861) and Mary. In the 1871 census, Mary is living in Oban with her mother’s sister, Eliza. It is presumed that Mary stayed with the Whytes in Oban and that she is the ‘other Mary’ referred to in Duncan MacGregor Whyte’s letters to his wife Mary Bernard when he was in Australia. The Whytes were artists who built The Studio in Balephuil.

 

2017.36.7

Black & white photograph of Balinoe House in the 1920s. From a large photo album embossed with G.I.B. and belonging to George Ian MacLean Brodie, who was the grand-daughter of Lachlan MacLean (b. 1804), Kilmoluaig, and Catherine MacLean (b.1814), Grianal (Greenhill).

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16

2016.44.1

Book ‘Twentieth-Century Crofting Schemes on Tiree and Coll’ by Bob Chambers, 2016, with foreword by Prof. Donald Meek, Caoles.  Shortly before and shortly after WWI, over 100 new crofts were created on Tiree and Coll, and almost 40 existing crofts were enlarged. The impact on the islands was enormous, wide-ranging and long-lasting, particularly on Tiree.

2014.67.8

Crofters Commission report 1904 about croft enlargements at Cornaigbeg, Kenovay and Balinoe.

Photocopied extracts from the Report by The Crofters Commision (1905) regarding applications by six crofters of Cornaigbeg and Kenovay to enlarge their land holdings into parts of Crossapol Farm tenanted by Thomas Barr, and applications by five crofters of Balinoe to extend their holdings into Heylipol Farm tenanted by Hugh MacDiarmid.

Click here to view 2014.67.8

1 2 3 10