Sail-maker’s padded leather palm pad. Found at The Moorings, Balephuil.
Army knife with ‘ J. CAMPBELL’ engraved on the side. Found at The Moorings, Balephuil.
Small metal oil dispenser for lubricating hinges etc. Found at The Moorings, Balephuil.
Leather sail-maker’s palm strap found at The Moorings, Balephuil. Similar to item 2009.98.1.
The Scots Magazine, June 1965, with an article about Tiree and its people ‘Island of Prosperous Crofters’ by Campbell K Finlay. Includes photographs of Scarinish Harbour: A D Brown, Tobermory (merchant to Tiree); Margaret Brown, Vaul; Malcolm M MacLean, Salum; A H MacPhail, Clachan; A G H Bruton, Lodge Hotel; Travee; coastal cliffs; croft house, Scarinish; Parkhouse, Balephetrish; L J MacFadyen, Kenovay; J L MacInnes, Salum; W MacPhee, gamekeeper; Balephetrish road. Also mentioned in text: Walter Hume, the Reef & An Fhaodhail, primary schools, boarded-out children, island house, sheep, bulb-growing, cottars, income, crofters’ war, snipe shooting, tourism, fishing.
Click here to view 2018.78.1
Fosslised bivalve seashell in a piece of worked flint found in a sand blowout at Balephuil.
Photocopy of a tri-fold brochure from an exhibition by the Oban Art Society of works by Duncan MacGregor Whyte (1866-1953) and his wife, Mary Bernard (1870-1946), in St. Columba’s Church, Oban in September 1984. Includes biographies and lists of named works. The MacG Whytes built The Studio in Balephuil.
Photocopies of a series of around 80 long and detailed typed letters (one handwritten) from artist Duncan MacGregor Whyte to his wife, Mary Barnard, and his son, Tearlach, during his travels, from boarding the steamship ‘Caledonia’ in Nov. 1911, across Canada in 1912-13, sailing to Australia via Hawaii in 1913, and around Australia in 1913-1919. In the letters, DMcGW describes his journeys, the people he meets and the paintings he produces. He frequently refers to the Gaelic language and Tiree, where he built The Studio at Balephuil.
Framed watercolour/pastel painting by artist Mary Barnard, wife of Duncan MacGregor Whyte, who built The Studio at Balephuil in the early 1900s. Signed MB Barnard (Mrs Whyte), and dated 2 April 1920.
Handwritten on the back of the mount board is “The Morven Hills from Oban in April. £2.10.0 by Mary B Barnard, exhib. at RG, RSC, Pastel Soc London, AI Glasgow, Salon Paris.” Framed by J Bryce Smith Ltd, London.