Tag Archives: balemartine

1 2 3 24

2016.54.16

Hand-drawn map of Tiree showing the locations of 15 aerial photographs taken around the island in 1998 (see 2016.54.1~15). Areas covered are: Kirkapol, Vaul, Ruaig, Cornaigmore, Cornaigbeg, Kenovay, Balephetrish, Caoles, Salum, Kennavara, Hough, Balevullin, Middleton, Kilkenneth, Moss, Baugh, Balemartine, Balinoe, Scarinish, Heanish and Hynish.

Click here to view 2016.54.16

2016.52.3

Hardback book ‘Rob Roy’ by Sir Walter Scott, ca 1820. Presented to Balemartine School by James Coats in 1906. The name Donald Angus MacDonald, Mannal House, is written in pencil on the inside cover. James Coats of Paisley, donated hundreds of books to Tiree’s schools and to the Reading Room (now An Iodhlann). From a collection from Mannal House.

2016.47.1

Printed spreadsheet of births, marriages and deaths of the Henderson family of Moss, Greenhill, Balephetrish, Hough, Scarinish, Balemartine, Mannal, Kilmoluaig and Vaul, 1806-2002.

Click here to view 2016.47.1

2016.44.1

Book ‘Twentieth-Century Crofting Schemes on Tiree and Coll’ by Bob Chambers, 2016, with foreword by Prof. Donald Meek, Caoles.  Shortly before and shortly after WWI, over 100 new crofts were created on Tiree and Coll, and almost 40 existing crofts were enlarged. The impact on the islands was enormous, wide-ranging and long-lasting, particularly on Tiree.

2016.32.1

Wooden picture of a windmill made up of pieces of inlaid wood veneer (marquetry) by Derek Clarke, Balemartine, around 1970. Derek Clarke and Brian Jefferson worked for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), which took over responsibility for the airport equipment from the RAF in 1968. From the belongings of Angus MacLean, Scarinish.

1 2 3 24