‘The Countryman’ magazine (Aug 2019) containing an article ‘Not the Last Straw’ on the traditional making of corn-dollies and harvest knots in Staffordshire, pages 24-31. The tradition was also part of Tiree’s harvest culture – see A’ Chailleach and harvest knots.
Porthole from the WWII warship, HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks off Sandaig during a storm in 1940. The porthole has been re-painted by Donald Brown, Vaul, and decorated with a sketch of the ship. The stainless steel bolts and backing (made from an old fish box) were added by Donald.
Hexagonal, wooden stool seat, carved at one of Lady Victoria Campbell’s woodwork classes in around 1910.
Draft article about ‘rock art’ on Tiree, by Dr Roland Spencer-Jones of NOSAS, 2019.
Click here to view 2019.97.4
Photograph of a painting of a sailing ship found in Rhum View, Vaul, and presumably belonging to Catriona MacKinnon who once lived there. Paintings like these were often painted by members of the crew and the sails signed by all in the crew (but not in this case). It is assumed that the painter or a crew member was linked to Rhum View.
The photograph includes notes made by Angus MacLean, Scarinish, in 1994, on the types of masts and sails, and an annotated sketch of the ship giving the names of the various sails.
Hardback book ‘Inspired by Chance’ by artist Kirsty Laird, Edinburgh & Brock, 2019. Photographs, descriptions and background of some of Kirsty Laird’s driftwood sculptures made while on Tiree. Includes a section about Kirsty’s background and life. An inscription reads “For John Holliday and An Iodhlann, the gift of this book, in response a long life-time of my love for Tiree”.
Draft report ‘Study for the Development of Artistic and Creative Skills on the Isles of Tiree and Coll’, 1997, commissioned by Tiree Art Enterprises and produced by Independent Public Arts Ltd. Includes a schedule of meetings and activities (1998-1999) on publication of the report in January 1998.
Wooden picture of a windmill made up of pieces of inlaid wood veneer (marquetry) by Derek Clarke, Balemartine, around 1970. Derek Clarke and Brian Jefferson worked for the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA), which took over responsibility for the airport equipment from the RAF in 1968. From the belongings of Angus MacLean, Scarinish.