Record Type: review

2001.166.1

Annie MacLeod of Kilmoluaig at the Qua Iboe Mission Hospital in Nigeria in 1956

Photograph of Annie MacLeod of Kilmoluaig at the Qua Iboe Mission Hospital in Nigeria in 1956.

q53.jpg

Courtesy of Mr Iain MacLeod

Annie MacLeod of Kilmoluaig trained as a nurse after World War II in Glasgow, and at the Edinburgh Faith Mission College. She worked briefly as a district nurse on Tiree in 1954 and 1955. Unable to drive, she had to be taken on her rounds by Donald Archie and Duncan Cameron from the Scarinish Hotel.

She then left for Africa to work at the Qua Iboe Mission Hospital in southern Nigeria. The hospital had one doctor and four RGNs from Britain, and a maternity ward. Anna eventually became the nurse in charge of its leprosy wards.

Brought home by family circumstances, she worked as a nurse at Kilmartin and on Skye. On one of her return visits to Tiree, she met and married the well-known missionary Kenneth MacRae who was working on the island at the time.

Black and white photograph of Anna MacLeod, Carrachan in Nigeria, 1956.

Anna MacLeod (Anna Charrachan) with some patients from the women`s ward at Qua Iboe (Kwa Eebo) Mission Hospital, Etinan, Nigeria in spring 1956. The hospital had one doctor and four RGNs from the UK and a maternity ward.

2001.170.2

The smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour

Photograph of the smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour in the early 20th century.

q59.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Marjorie Wilson

The ‘Mary and Effie’ was the last sailing vessel to bring cargoes to Tiree. She ceased trading around 1946. She was owned by Allan MacFadyen (Ailean Shandaidh), the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891), who was a tenant of the Scarinish Hotel.

Allan MacFadyen the elder was the son of Janet Munn and John MacFadyen of Scarinish. In 1832 he married Amelia Stewart, daughter of Exciseman Alexander Stewart. The couple had seven sons and five daughters: John, Jessie, Catherine, Alexander, Malcolm, Amelia, James, Charles, Margaret, Donald, Hannah and another John.

Allan also owned a smack and in the 1840s carried stone from the quarry at Camas Tuath on the Ross of Mull, which was used in the building of Skerryvore Lighthouse.

Black and white photograph of of the smack `Mary & Effie` in Scarinish harbour.

The smack `Mary & Effie` owned by Allan MacFadyen of Lismore, the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891) of Scarinish Inn.

2002.47.1

The Duke and Duchess of Argyll at a Tiree Association concert in 1950

Photograph of the Duke and Duchess of Argyll at a Tiree Association concert in 1950.

q35.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Flora MacKinnon

This photograph was taken by George Outram & Co. Ltd after an annual concert of the Tiree Association, probably in 1950, the Association’s Jubilee year, when the gathering’s chairman was the 11th Duke of Argyll. Margaret, Duchess of Argyll, is in the centre of the photograph.

The evening started with an organ recital, followed by the entry of the platform party led in by the Association’s piper. After the chairman’s address, the audience was entertained by the Glasgow Police Pipers, a selection of Gaelic and Scots songs and dances performed by the Glasgow Police dancers.

The Association is still in existence today. Funded by its members, it gives monetary support to groups such as the Tiree Parties Committee and the Pipe Band, as well as providing prizes for the Awards Ceremony at Tiree High School.

Black and white photograph taken after Tiree Association Annual Concert c. 1950.

Tiree Association Annual Concert, St Andrew`s Hall, Glasgow, c. 1950. L-R: Harvey MacLean; Mrs Annie Campbell; Mrs Sybil Sinclair; Minnie Dickson; Mr Hugh Sinclair; Mrs Ann Brown; Mary Flora MacArthur; Margaret, Duchess of Argyll; Hugh Campbell, Port Glasgow; Nancy MacLean; President of the Association, the 11th Duke of Argyll; Mrs Margaret Campbell; Mr and Mrs Hugh Kennedy, Crosshill.

2002.38.1

Cornaigmore School in 1927

Photograph of Cornaigmore School with headmaster Donald MacLean in 1927.

q81.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Annie Kennedy

Cornaig School pupils in 1927 along with their headmaster Mr Donald MacLean who is seated in the centre of the picture.

Black and white photograph of Cornaig School, 1927.

Cornaig School, 1927. D. O. MacLean in centre.

2002.40.1

Flora MacLean of Cornaigbeg

Photograph of Flora MacLean from Cornaigbeg.

p49.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Mairi Campbell

Flora MacLean from Port na Criche, Cornaigbeg. Flora was a nurse in the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow, she was also one of the first to fly in an ambulance plane.

Black and white photograph of Flora MacLean.

Flora MacLean, Port na Criche, Cornaigbeg. A nurse in the Southern General, she was one of the first to fly in an ambulance plane.

2002.39.1

The Tiree SWRI entry

Photograph of the Tiree SWRI team’s entry at the Federation Show on Mull in 1986.

p48.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Johann MacKinnon

The first women’s rural institute was formed in Ontario, Canada in 1897. The movement spread to Europe and in 1917 the first Scottish institute was formed in East Lothian. The aims of the organisation were to combat rural isolation and to share methods of practical domestic economy.

Local institutes compete against each other and this photograph shows the Tiree team’s entry at the Federation Show on Mull in 1986. The Christmas cake made by Bella MacKinnon of Hough received first prize; second prize went to Johann MacKinnon of Barrapol for her knitted Arran cushion cover.

Elizabeth Robertson of Gott entered homemade wine and Vera Goldie of Baugh hand-made flowers. The tablecloth, which was part of the presentation, was embroidered by Bella MacKinnon.

Colour photograph of Tiree entry for WRI competition in Mull.

WRI entry for compettion in Mull in 1986. Christmas cake made by Bella MacKinnon, Hough (1st prize); Arran cushion cover by Johann MacKinnon, Barrapol (2nd prize); wine by Elizabeth Robertson, Gott; flowers by Vera Goldie, Baugh; tablecloth (part of presentation) made by Bella MacKinnon, Hough.

2002.28.3

En route to Kilkenneth in 1925

Photograph of the MacKinnon family and friends on their way to Kilkenneth by horse and cart in 1925.

l91.jpg

Courtesy of Mrs Annie MacPhee

Donald and Mary Flora MacKinnon of Balephuil are pictured here with their five children and friends Mr and Mrs Graham on their way to Kilkenneth on a visit in 1925. The MacKinnon family emigrated to New Zealand in 1927.

Donald was employed as a blacksmith at Maraekakaho Station near Hawkes Bay. The station had been established by another Tiree man, Sir Donald MacLean, Minister for Native Affairs from 1869 to 1876, who, with his son Douglas, transformed over 50, 000 acres, much of it rough ground and swamp, into a model farm.

In the 1880s the woolshed at Maraekakaho was the largest in New Zealand and could house 5,000 sheep under cover. Over 100, 000 sheep were sheared there each year. After the death of Sir Donald’s son in 1929, the station was broken up into individual stock and dairy farms.

Photograph of the MacKinnon family en route to Kilkenneth from Hynish in 1925.

L-R: Donald MacKinnon, Balephuil (at head of horse); Norman Graham; Donald`s wife Mary Flora, (see L88); Mrs Graham holding baby Mary; children Sarah (barely visible), Annie (MacPhee), Dolly and Hugh. Taken in 1925 en route from Hynish to Kilkenneth. Donald and Mary Flora emigrated to New Zealand in 1927.

2002.4.7

Kelp ridge at the foot of Kennavara.

Photograph of an old kelp ridge at the foot of Kennavara.

q98.jpg

Kelp is a general name for long-stemmed brown seaweeds, of which, it is estimated, there are over 300,000 tonnes around the shores of Tiree. Its ashes were a rich source of the soda and potash needed to make soap and glass, and to bleach linen.

During the Napoleonic Wars, Britain was unable to import alkalis from Spain and the price for kelp ash soared from £2 to £12 a ton. The estate encouraged people to come to Tiree to work in the booming industry and the population reached 4,450 in 1831.

Kelp was cut with a sickle from the rocks at spring low tides, dried on stone ridges by the shore and then burnt in the summer in long U-shaped pits. These ridges and pits can still be seen around the shore, particularly at Craiginnis, and between Kennavara and Traigh Bhì.

Colour photograph of kelp-drying ridge at Kennavara.

Old ridge at the foot of Kennavara once used to dry kelp.