Photograph of HMS Sturdy broken in two on rocks at Sandaig
Black and white photograph of the destroyer HMS Sturdy broken in two on rocks at Sandaig, where it was wrecked in a storm in October 1940 with the loss of five lives.
Photograph of Calum `Salum` MacLean outside his shop in Salum ca 1960
Black and white photograph of Calum `Salum` MacLean outside his shop in Salum around 1960.
Photograph of Balemartine from the air circa 1940
Black and white photograph of Balemartine from the air circa 1940. Taken from just offshore by a passing light aircraft.
Photograph of Mrs ? MacLean inside Hynish House circa 1950
Sepia photograph of Mrs ? MacLean sitting by her piano in Hynish House in the 1950s or 1940s. Her father may have been a tacksman on Tiree. (Original stored in filing cabinet 9 drawer 3)
Photograph of `Doonside` the original home of Sir Donald MacLean, New Zealand and Kilmoluaig, 1850s
Sepia photograph of `Doonside` the original home of Sir Donald MacLean, at Maraekakako, near Napier, New Zealand. Probably taken in the late 1850s. Donald MacLean emigrated from Kilmoluaig to New Zealand in 1838, estabilishing a farm at Maraekakako and eventually becoming Minister for Native Affairs and Minister of Defence (see book 2009.84.3 “The best man who ever served the crown?”). The house was built by him but was subsequently destroyed by fire. It was replaced by the present building known as `The Cottage` (see photo 2010.20.2 ; M199).
Photo of schooner `Oceana` in full sail
Black & white photograph of the two-masted schooner `Oceana` in full sail ca. 1915 before the yacht`s refit in 1923. The Oceana ran aground and broke up at Crossapol in 1949.
Photograph of Neil MacDonald and Murdoch MacLean thatching a house, ca 1985.
Colour photograph of Neil MacDonald, Kenovay (Niall dubh) and Murdoch MacLean, Kilmoluaig, (Murchadh Eachainn) thatching Neil`s old house in Kenovay around 1985. (Original stored in filing cabinet 9, drawer 2).
Photograph of a crumbling black-roofed house at Mannal in 2006
Colour photograph of `Taigh Eoghainn `ic Alasdair`, next to `Hillview`, Mannal, in 2006. The house has since been demolished. (Original stored in filing cabinet 9 drawer 2).
Photograph of the old community hall at Crossapol in 2000
Colour photograph of the old community hall at Crossapol in 2000. The old hall was opened in 1960, demolished in 2001 and replaced by the new hall `An Talla` in 2004. (Original stored with 9 other photos of the old hall in filing cabinet 9 drawer 2)
Colour photograph of Sandaig Thatched Cottage Museum under renovation
Original colour photographic print of Sandaig Thatched Cottage Museum under renovation in 1991-92. Shows bare roof timbers before turves and thatch were laid.