Photograph of the ferry `lighter` boat off Scarinish ca. 1950.
Black & white photograph of the `lighter` boat carrying about 20 people being rowed out to the ferry waiting off Scarinish Harbour around 1910. From a postcard.
Photograph of the yacht `Charm` whose wreckage washed up at Hynish Bay in 1945
Black & white photograph of the yacht `Charm` at its berth in Co. Sligo, Ireland in the 1940s. Its wreckage washed up in Hynish Bay in September 1945, with the loss of four lives. The new owner RAF Group Captain G.N. Warrington, his Australian wife and their two friends, FO McGregor and FO Ellis, were sailing from Sligo to Belfast when they ran into a gale and probably a free-floating mine left over from WWII. A full-scale search & rescue was carried out by the RAF and others, but to no avail. Mr & Mrs Warrington had fortunately left their three-year-old son, Alastair, with friends.
Photographs of a baptism in Abhainn Bhi, Balephuil, ca 1970
Three colour photographs showing stages of an adult baptism at the bridge over Abhainn Bhi, the stream that runs out of Loch a` Phuil at Balephuil, around 1970. Before a baptism, the stream would be temporarily dammed so that the water was deep enough for an adult to be submerged when being tipped backwards by the minister. Unknown participants. Found in Flora MacArthur`s house (now demolished) at Sandaig 2010. Original in filing cabinet 9 drawer 3.
Photograph of Baugh House ca. 1900
Black & white photograph of Baugh House taken by Erskine Beveridge during 1896-1901. Built as the doctor`s house for Dr Buchanan, whose horse and trap is by the door. The original doctor`s `cottage` is beside the L-shaped barn. At the time, the doctor’s living was made from Baugh Farm. Baugh House is still used as the doctor`s residence.
Photograph of Lachie & Flora MacLean at a Bronze Age burial chamber, Kenavara, ca. 1998
Colour photograph of Lachie & Flora MacLean, Druimfraoich, at ‘Naimh Chaluim Chèaird / the cave of Calum the tinker’ on the Balephuil side of Kenavara around 1995-2000. Thought to be a Neolithic/Bronze Age burial chamber. It is named after a traveller who presumably sheltered there.
Photograph of Morag Cameron, Moss, in the 1920s
Original black & white photograph of Morag Cameron standing in the doorway of her thatched house at Moss in the 1920s. On the reverse is written “Take good care of this. This is the girl friend – Mòr a` Phaal Aal in the front door of her house in the capital – Moss!”. Phaal Aal / Pale Ale was the nickname of her father. The house is the ruin opposite `Greenbank` (with the post box). (Photo in the possession of Mairi MacFarlane, Tiree in 2011)
Photograph of men at work building the Cornaigmore School in the 1920s
Black & white photograph of workmen putting the finishing touches to the newly built school at Cornaigmore in the 1920s. The building firm was Dallas of Dunoon. From right to left: Angus MacKinnon, Mr MacBain – clerk of works, Archie MacKinnon, Hector MacKinnon.