Printed information and photographs on CD documenting the repair and restoration of the wax portrait of Captain Donald MacKinnon, Heanish, in 2015. Captain MacKinnon sailed the tea clipper ‘Taeping’ to victory in the Great China Tea Race of 1866, and the portrait was made specially for him by his father-in-law to congratulate him in his achievment.
Click here to view 2017.10.1
Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Duncan MacDonald, Lower Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Alexander MacLean (Snr), Caoles; Hugh MacLean, Caoles; John MacFadyen, Caoles; Hector MacDonald, Caoles; Lachlan MacLean, Caoles; Alexander MacLean (Jnr), Caoles; Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).
Scottish Land Court document, 1913, drawn up between the Duke of Argyll and Alexander Cameron, Miodar, Caoles, regulating the use of storm-cast seaweed in Coales. Other names mentioned: Isabella MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacArthur, Harbour; Alexander MacLean (Snr); Hugh MacLean; John MacFadyen; Hector MacDonald; Lachlan MacLean; Alexander MacLean (Jnr); Hugh MacDiarmid (Factor), Island House; John Disselduff (Sheriff-Clerk Oban).
Pages mentioning Tiree from the WWII Admiralty War Diaries from 6 June 1939 to 14 November 1944, marked “Most Secret”, including records of shipping and convoys, U-boats, mining, defensive actions, casualties, military intelligence, communications with allied forces, and SS Laristan. Courtesy of Martin Briscoe, Fort William.
Click here to view 2016.60.1
Page from the Official Log Book and Account of Voyages and Crew of the Mary Stewart, 1916, giving the owner and master as Donald MacLean, Scarinish (b.1860). Ports visited during the half-year 22 July 1915 to 27th November 1915 are Ayr, Tiree, Ardrossan and Colonsay. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.4
Page from the official log book of the Mary Stewart, 1915, listing the crew as Master Donald MacLean (b.1860) and crew John MacLean (b.1885), Hugh MacLean (b.1891) and Neil MacLean (b.1898), all of Tiree. They joined the ship in 1914 and were discharged at Ayr in 1915. The remains of the Mary Stewart can still be seen in Scarinish Harbour.
Click here to view 2016.58.3
Tiree Regatta Club membership card 2005/06 belonging to Martin Finnigan, Membership No: 8
Copy of the death certificate of James Smith, Kilmarnock, who died as a result of injuries sustained in an accident while working at Tiree airport in 1956.
Click here to view 2016.48.1
Printed extract from the Tiree Roll of Honour, 1914-1919, regarding Private Hugh Lamont of Balemartine (1897-1917), who was killed in action during WWI.
Scanned copy of a ‘Permit to Enter a Protected Area’ issued by the Military Permit Office, Edinburgh, in 1942, belonging to Hugh McColl who came to Tiree to work on the construction of buildings on the RAF airfield during World War 2.
Click here to view 2016.29.1
Hugh McColl worked for The Glasgow Steel Roofing Company and was responsible for bringing men and materials over to construct the buildings on the airfield for the RAF. His work had it’s challenges, including battling with the weather right through the summer of 1942. The men were only paid when they worked, and he recorded on the time sheets for August that their hours varied because “… some men refused to work at times owing to the weather…”. They worked on Tiree from June to October.
Hugh appeared to enjoyed himself more than the men. He stayed with the Omand family at Balemartine School House and recalls having a great time fishing, harvesting and calling at the airport picture house, which was in a Nissen hut.