Object Type: artefact

2000.91.25

Bronze spring of a Roman brooch (late 1st to 2nd century AD) from a collection of around 200 bronze objects found by amateur archaeologist George Holleyman at Balevullin in 1941-43, when he served at RAF Tiree during WWII. Identified by Dr Fraser Hunter, National Museum of Scotland, in 2019.

2019.100.2

Silver pin badge issued to servicemen given an honourable discharge from active duty during WWI. Worn by injured servicemen on the the right breast to prevent abuse from members of the public if their injuried were not obvious. Bears the Royal monogram and the words “For King and Empire, Services Rendered”.

2019.100.1

Silver and blue enamel Admiralty lapel badge given to essential shipyard workers during WWI. Bears a silver crown and the words “On war service, 1914”. On the reverse are stamped the numbers 12485, suggesting that it was numbered after 1916.

2019.94.1

WWII sea mine discovered under gravel on the Sandaig shore in August 2016. Visible are the locations of the detonation horns and the hole where a time-sensitive self-destruct mechanism was installed. Hundreds of pebbles and shells are fused onto its surface. Tens of thousands of similar mines were laid around the Hebrides and the North Sea during the first and second world wars.

2019.71.1

1930s binoculars given to Archie MacLeod, Carrachan, Kilmoluaig, by one of the officers of the destroyer HMS Sturdy, which was wrecked on rocks at Sandaig in 1940. Archie (Erchie Charrachain) was home on leave from Gourock where he was skipper on one of the troop tenders based there during WWII. He was present at Sandaig during the rescue and carried ashore on his shoulders one of the Sturdy’s navigating officers who, in a show of gratitude, placed the binoculars around Archie’s neck. Archie’s son, also Archie (Gilleasbuig Carrachan), played with the binoculars as a boy. The binoculars remained in Carrachan until they were passed on to An Iodhlann in 2019.

Includes handwritten history of the binoculars by Gilleasbuig MacLeod.

2019.51.3

Stoneware bottle made by R. White, London (regd). It would have been stoppered with a cork.

Robert & Mary White started selling ginger beer in 1845 from their home in Camberwell. By 1869, they had five factories. The company was taken over by Whitbread in the 1960s, and by Britvic in 1986. The bottles could be returned: “R White’s ginger beer goes off pop, a penny on the bottle when you take it to the shop“. Stealing the bottles and making drinks to sell in another manufacturer’s name was a common offence – hence the ‘regd’ mark.