Hand-painted copy of the Turnbull Map 1768 of Tiree, made in 1864
Original, full-sized, exact copy of the Turnbull 1768 map held at Inveraray Castle, hand-painted by cartographer James Ferguson in 1864 at the request of the Duke of Argyll. Kept on Tiree at Island House, Heylipol, by Captain Short, the last Steward of the Duke of Argyll, and then at Keeper’s Cottage, the factor’s house at Scarinish. Size 134 x 220 cm. ON PERMANENT LOAN from Argyll Estates.