Ceramic bed pan, ca. 1900-1950
Cream-coloured ceramic bed pan with a handle and marked “Boots the Chemist”. Known as an `old man`s slipper`, it was the precursor to the modern-day bottle. Found in a garden at Heanish and possibly from the old Fever Hospital at Heanish. Mairi Campbell`s (Cornaig) sister- in-law remembered seeing on at the Western General Hospital, Glasgow, when she was a trainee nurse in the early 1950s. However, she never had to use one as they were outdated by the time she was a practising nurse. Probable date of manufacture/use 1930s-40s.