Photograph of the Galbraith croft house at Balevullin ca. 1890
Black & white photograph of (probably) the Galbraith thatched croft house at Balevullin in around 1890. James Galbraith (1821-1903) was born in Gigha, and came to Tiree from Rothiemurchus, near Aviemore, with his wife and children in 1874 to take up the position of School Master of the Parochial School at Balevullin. The Duke of Argyll displaced the MacLeod family off their croft to Kilmoluaig to make way for them. After James` death the family`s title to the croft at Balevullin was challenged by the Duke, despite one of James` daughters, Sarah (now living in Glasgow), continuing to pay the rent and her two sisters still living there. One sister, Mary Galbraith, married John MacDonald of Cornaigmore in 1907 and they continued to run the croft. However, after 10 years of pursuit, the Duke took the matter to Court and the croft was given up around 1913.