John MacPhaden at the cheese factory in Kenyon Township in 1900
Photograph of John MacPhaden at the cheese factory in Kenyon Township, Glengarry, Ontario in 1900.
Courtesy of Mrs Glenda Franklin
Alexander MacPhaden was born in Caoles in 1790, the son of Charles MacPhaden of Croish and his wife Christy MacPhail. Alexander emigrated to Ontario, Canada at the age of sixteen. He settled in Indian Lands, Kenyon Township in Glengarry County where he established a mixed dairy farm.
Alexander married Ann (or Jannet) MacIsaac MacDonald and the couple had at least eight children. Their son John (1839-1920) inherited the farm. Every day they took their milk to the cheese factory in Kenyon Township, pictured here in 1900.
John is the white-haired man in the back row. His two youngest sons are in the middle of the front row: the smallest boy is Charles and left of him is his brother John. John senior was a friend of the Indians who taught him to make medicine using plants and bark. He was also a soothsayer and in great demand for house parties.
Black and white photograph of John MacPhadden with his family in Kenyon Township, Ontario in 1904.
The McPhadden homestead in Kenyon Township, Glengarry County, Ontario in 1904.
L-R: (seated) John McPhadden (1839-1920), his wife Mary Morrison (1852-1932) with their youngest son Charles, (standing) their daughter Isabella McPhadden McLaurin holding her son Houston; cousin Margaret Morrison, Isabella’s sister Hattie and brothers John and Alexander.