Black and white photograph of the MacPhadden homestead in Kenyon Township, Ontario in 1904.
The MacPhadden homestead in Kenyon Township, Glengarry County, Ontario in 1904. The land was first settled by Alexander MacPhadden, who was baptised in 1790, the son of Charles MacPhaiden of Caoles and his wife Christy MacPhail. According to oral history Alexander emigrated to Canada around 1806 in the company of MacIsaacs and MacDonalds, at first living at Glen Donald in southern Ontario. In 1809 he leased Lots 11 and 12 of Concession 14 in Kenyon Township, which he purchased in 1852. This photo pictures his son John with his family in front of their fine brick house built around 1895. The family ran a.mixed dairy farm and maple syrup orchard.