The Church of Scotland at Cornaigmore
Photograph of the Church of Scotland at Cornaig.
Courtesy of Mrs Fiona Munn
Due to difficulties in obtaining use of the Congregational Chapel in Cornaig, the Kirkapol Session decided to build a new church accommodating 200 worshippers. The Duke of Argyll granted one eighth of an acre in Cornaigmore at an annual feu of one shilling.
A building committee was set up comprising the minister, Rev Thomas MacPherson, and six elders. Donald MacDonald of Caoles put in the successful tender of £530 for the building work. Grants were promised by the Church of Scotland and one of the elders, Thomas Barr, offered to advance the money at 4% interest.
The new church opened for public worship in 1899 ‘notwithstanding the very boisterous nature of the weather’ and continued as a place of worship until the mid-1970s. It has since been sold as a dwelling house.
Black and white photograph of the old Church of Scotland at Cornaigmore.
The old Church of Scotland at Cornaigmore.