Calum MacKinnon of Kilmoluaig
Photograph of Calum MacKinnon of Kilmoluaig in 1977.
Courtesy of RCAHMS (Crown copyright)
Calum MacKinnon (1890-1984) is pictured sitting in the kitchen of his thatched house at Cnoc Bhiosta in 1977. It was the last inhabited house on Tiree without electricity. Lighting was by Tilley lamp and all the cooking was done on the coal-fired range or latterly a gas ring.
Originally traditional houses had a peat fire in the centre of the room. When coal began to be imported to Tiree in the mid-19th century, hearths and chimneys were built on to the original walls at one or both ends of the house.
Chimneys, lacking the support of a gable end, were relatively unstable and were built at a sight angle outwards so if they did collapse the inhabitants would be safe.
Black and white photograph of Calum MacKinnon in Kilmoluaig.
Calum MacKinnon (father of Iain, Hector and Hugh) at his thatched house in Kilmoluaig in 1977.