Hynish pier and dock
Photograph of the pier and dock at Hynish in 2004.
Courtesy of Mr James Gentles ©
Hynish, the closest land to Skerryvore, was chosen by Alan Stevenson, Engineer to the Northern Lighthouse Board, as the site of the harbour and work yards. Unfortunately the harbour was prone to such bad swells in the winter that it was unusable and, on an island without a safe harbour, its location rankled.
The traffic at the pier was so great that in 1840 another 11 metres was added to its length of 79 metres. Not only was granite landed from the Ross of Mull before being dressed at Hynish and transported to Skerryvore, ballast was required for the lighters and copious amounts of coal for the steamer and forges.
Because the dock tended to silt up with sand, an ingenious flushing system was devised using water from a small reservoir in a nearby hill. The complex, a heritage site of European importance, has been renovated by the Hebridean Trust.
Aerial photograph of Hynish pier and dock taken by James Gentles in July 2003.
Hynish pier and dock photographed by James Gentles in July 2003 using a remote controlled camera on a kite.