Photograph of Skerryvore Lighthouse in 2004.
Situated 12 miles southwest of Tiree, Skerryvore lighthouse was built between 1835 and 1842 by Alan Stevenson, Clerk of Works to the Northern Lighthouse Board, on a reef that had wrecked ships over many years
The lighthouse stands 42 metes high, weighs a total of 58,580 tons and has walls 2.9 metres thick at the base. The lower four courses are built from grey Tiree granite which proved too hard and time-consuming to dress. The remainder of the tower is built from more workable pink granite shipped from the Ross of Mull.
It was described by the Institute of Civil Engineers as ‘the finest combination of mass with elegance to be met with in architectural or engineering structures’.
Colour photograph of Skerryvore lighthouse in July 2004.
Skerryvore lighthouse in July 2004.