Postcard of Island House, the Tiree residence of the Duke of Argyll.
Loch an Eilein (loch of the island) lies to the west of Crossapol. An ancient castle was situated on an island in the loch, with a causeway and drawbridge between it and the shore. It was occupied by the MacLeans of Duart, and probably by the MacDonalds of the Isles before them.
Lachlan Mòr MacLean was denounced as a rebel in 1588 and his estates were forfeited six years later. Tiree stayed in the actual, if not legal, possession of the MacLeans until the island passed to the Campbells of Argyll in 1674.
The Earl of Argyll built the present building in 1748, at which time the channel between the island and the shore was filled in using forced labour.
Black and white postcard of Island House, Heylipol.
Island House, Heylipol. (Original postcard in Filing Cabinet 8 drawer 2)