The Met. Station at Tiree Aerodrome during World War II.
Photograph of the Met. Station at Tiree Aerodrome during World War II.
Courtesy of Mr Archie MacKinnon
In October 1942 the Air Ministry took over the running of the Tiree Met. Station, moving most of the equipment to the RAF aerodrome at Crossapol. The new office was sited in the Operations Block and staffed by RAF personnel.
The instruments were moved to the north-east of the office in the area now known as the Camp, with the exception of the anemometer which remained at Cornaig School and was read by the Met. Office Observer until 1956.
During the war years, 518 Squadron flew weather reconnaissance missions twice daily in long-range Halifax aircraft travelling around 1,600 miles per trip. Observations were transmitted at intervals and picked up by ground stations.