The smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour
Photograph of the smack ‘Mary & Effie’ in Scarinish harbour in the early 20th century.
Courtesy of Mrs Marjorie Wilson
The ‘Mary and Effie’ was the last sailing vessel to bring cargoes to Tiree. She ceased trading around 1946. She was owned by Allan MacFadyen (Ailean Shandaidh), the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891), who was a tenant of the Scarinish Hotel.
Allan MacFadyen the elder was the son of Janet Munn and John MacFadyen of Scarinish. In 1832 he married Amelia Stewart, daughter of Exciseman Alexander Stewart. The couple had seven sons and five daughters: John, Jessie, Catherine, Alexander, Malcolm, Amelia, James, Charles, Margaret, Donald, Hannah and another John.
Allan also owned a smack and in the 1840s carried stone from the quarry at Camas Tuath on the Ross of Mull, which was used in the building of Skerryvore Lighthouse.
Black and white photograph of of the smack `Mary & Effie` in Scarinish harbour.
The smack `Mary & Effie` owned by Allan MacFadyen of Lismore, the grandson of Allan MacFadyen (1800-1891) of Scarinish Inn.