M.V. ‘Claymore’ at Gott Bay pier in 1964
Photograph of M.V. ‘Claymore’ at Gott Bay pier in 1964.
Courtesy of Mrs Janis Cuevas
Launched in 1955 from the Dumbarton yard of Wm. Denny & Bros., the M.V. ‘Claymore’ was the second vessel of that name in the MacBrayne fleet. Driven by twin screws, she had a tonnage of 1,024 and a speed of 12½ knots.
The ship could carry 494 passengers, about a hundred tons of cargo, up to eleven motor vehicles and twenty-six head of cattle. The passenger accommodation was beautifully furnished and comprised a first-class observation lounge and bar, a second-class open lounge, two first-class de luxe staterooms, a hospital room, and first- and second-class dining-saloons. Berths were provided to sleep fifty-six.
She sailed from Oban to Tobermory, Coll, Tiree, Castlebay and Lochboisedale three days a week until 1976 when she was sold to Canopus Shipping of Piraeus. She was later renamed the ‘City of Hydra’ and used for day cruises to the Greek islands of Hydra and Poros.
Colour photograph of the MV Claymore.
The MV Claymore at Gott Bay pier in 1964.