The United Free Church at Kirkapol
Photograph of the United Free Church at Kirkapol.
The Free Church at Kirkapol was built in 1880 and the manse at Scarinish in 1884. At that time the members and adherents numbered 182. Twelve years later, the Free Church in Tiree combined with the United Presbyterians to form the United Free Church.
In 1929 the majority of the United Free Churches voted to rejoin the Church of Scotland, with the minority including the Tiree congregation becoming the United Free Continuing Church. In 1963 the few remaining members agreed to sell the manse to the County Council for use as an old people’s home.
A session meeting in 1966 decided to dissolve the congregation. The pulpit and pews were offered to the church at Ruaig. A knitwear factory was temporarily housed in the building in the early 1970s. It is now a guest house.
Colour photograph of the old Free Church at Kirkapol.
The old Free Church at Kirkapol now Kirkapol Guest House.